Stock 04 vs 03 Lightning

Lefty

those chp laws are what they CAN do----i have been to street races many times out in southern cali and have been busted by the cops many times and i have never seen cars towed or impounded unless they tried to run and got caught. from my experience, they usually block the whole street from both directions and file the cars out 1 by 1 and inspect every thing on your car: all lights, horn, tire tread depth, engine mods--smog, seat belts, blah blah--and they give tickets for every violation. when there are 150 to 200 cars there, you can be there all night. this was 2 years ago, so things might have changed.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
don’t even have to be running a red light, just speeding trough a yellow

I knew the intersection I went through had red light cameras. I found out about the speeding part about a month ago - that hard way. BACK to defensive school for me. Fifth time. I can teach that class now. :D

don’t even have to be running a red light, just speeding trough a yellow

I knew the intersection I went through had red light cameras. I found out about the speeding part about a month ago - that hard way. BACK to defensive school for me. Fifth time. I can teach that class now. :D

probably give the history of the automobile too, starting with your first ride, the horse carriage :jester:

Hey Lefty,

There are a few of us around town on this forum, And the girl I am currently seeing has a blue SS. :D  We should all get together. I am going on leave for 2 weeks, but I will be checking the forum.

The only girl in town that runs a blue SS is about 18 or 19. =)

Matt is ROBBING the cradle if its the same girl. Heheh..shes C U T E!

Oh well... Like Matt said there are a few of us in town with SS. We have to get it all together sometime before summer is over. Drop me a line and Ill be there.

Gosh that sounds like a sappy Whitney Houston song.

those chp laws are what they CAN do----i have been to street races many times out in southern cali and have been busted by the cops many times and i have never seen cars towed or impounded unless they tried to run and got caught.  from my experience, they usually block the whole street from both directions and file the cars out 1 by 1 and inspect every thing on your car: all lights, horn, tire tread depth, engine mods--smog, seat belts, blah blah--and they give tickets for every violation.  when there are 150 to 200 cars there, you can be there all night.  this was 2 years ago, so things might have changed.

I have seen a lot of harrassment in central California, too. Hazing is the number one tactic used by CA law enforcement, the worst is when they stick it to you with smog inspection ticket. That would start the week-long search for a loaner engine from a buddy-of-a-buddy that you could borrow to smog your car with, or locate a friend-of-a-friend that was an emissions inspector who would be willing to certify your car as smog compliant <ahem>. Exhaust (too loud or missing cats), stereos, registration/insurance, tires sticking out too far, loose trim, you name it they just make your life miserable by red-taping you to death. Which is where I learned one of my life's driving rules - always make sure your legal shit's in order (license, inspection, insurance).

Another common harrassment tactic was being cited for loitering. Cops would give you a ticket if they saw you drive past them more than once (on the assumption you were cruising). Cruising Modesto changed because of this enforcement approach, instead of going up and back McHenry Ave as had been done for 30 years we would make several 2-hr laps around town...

After mis-spending my automotive youth in/around Modesto, CA, I can authoritatively vouch for getting tickets in the mail. Once for driving on out-of-state plates (albeit for 6 months, I had it coming), another time for expired tags, once for speeding on city streets in an instance where the cop guesstimated my speed comparing me to the traffic I was passing? and yes, in court it was his accusation against my 'defense' (guess who lost that one...) But I have never gotten a love letter from the CHP, it was always the city police sending me citations by mail.

Man those were fun times. Lots of after-hours action. (mid-eighties) It was common to drive McHenry and see mid-life crisis guys in *brand* new Vettes cruising the avenue hunting for a stoplight encounter in addition to the rest of the riff-raff. At one point I actually moved into an apartment (halfway down Standiford Ave) and it was not uncommon to hear straining-Rs at least one night a week. But Modesto crowded-up pretty quickly in the late-eighties, the congestion choked the streets, and the city council actually glorified/commercialized what was happening by making a Graffiti Night event (good gawd gag-me), and that just killed it all.

Now I never got a ticket in the mail while living in Phoenix (I drove very defensively, Mesa is THE scariest place I have ever driven, btw), but issuing tickets by mail IS SOP there. DO NOT run the lights, and DO NOT speed through intersections in the ritzier part of the valley (I am sure someone has a web page devoted to sharing the location of these fixed radar units). OTOH, it happens a lot that people driving with their sunvisors down block enough of the camera shot as to credibly argue to the judge that the DA cannot possibly prove they were actually the driver behind the wheel, and the ticket gets dismissed...

And I agree that street racing has many actual and legal dangers. My speed addiction has changed as I have gotten older, I have not *really* street raced in at least 12 years now. It's just stupid, I finally figured out that someone was going to pull out in front of me eventually. But on the open road, look out! I like living in central Texas, lots of highways where you can get out and *drive*; you just can't do that in California anymore, too much population everywhere you turn.

Sorry to post another long one - got caught up in my own reminiscing...

Mister P. :)

Also, everyone needs to keep in mind that not everything in the papers is completely true. There was a "street racing death" here in College Station where only the driver was killed, but it was the guy wasn't racing. He wasn't even really getting on it. he lost control when he was passing someone, and went to come back into his lane. I knew the guy, and I know for a fact that he wasn't racing anyone, but he drove a ricer with a loud exhaust and they just assumed that he must have been racing someone when he wrecked. Some of my friends were behind him and even told the cops and the papers what really happened, but they decided that he must have been street racing anyway.

Another one where my BEST friend was driving down a road here in town, and a drunk driver swirved into his lane, hit my friend oncoming and killed my best friend. The news said that night that "street racing" Might have been involved. They assumed it because he drove a firebird. They later retracted their statement. He was on his way home from getting groceries with his fiance. Best thing is that he was on a one lane street where it wouldn't have been possible to race on. Oh, and by the way, the cops let the guy who hit him out of the hospital, and he hasn't been found for a year and a half. Way to go police!

Archived