Hey Truboberserker

F8L Z71

You are defiantely gonna need that intercooler man!

They were messing around with the G-Timer on my truck today on 10psi.

At the end of the runs they were seeing 190deg IATs before the methanol! :nono:

He was running consistant 13.0@105mph on a 1.98 60' (he doesn't know how to launch my truck ;) )

He then turned up the boost to 13psi and let her cool down and ripped off another pass. Ran the same times and the IATs jumped to 240deg :eek::eek:

At that point even with the meth there is no way that the extra air was even usable hence the lack of an increase in mph. So essentially we are going to have to intercool if we really wanna see power out of these things.

I had hoped for more out of my truck but when i considered all I have really is the turbo, a turbo cam, 3000stall, and tuning I am not too unhappy. My truck only traps 85-86mph bone stock so that's almost a 20mph increase and over 3 seconds in ET. I feel that with the intercooler and meth on there I should be able to bump up at least 5mph if I went to 14psi or so. Hell the intercooler alone will probably net me 50+rwhp just from the MUCH cooler intake air.

So anyway, just giving you a heads up on what to expect if you try to turn up the boost without the intercooler. IMO don't even bother till you get the cooler on there. I ordered mine today :)

Ohh, I'll head to the track Sat. night for some real #s on 10psi and post back up. I'm sure you SS guys can do much better though since you guys start off a full second faster than me anyway :)

Thanks for the heads-up. Nice run!!

Frcedfed98 gave me the flow numbers over on LS1 on that OBX intercooler... supports up to 800hp, .2psi drop at 15 psi... FF98 also says he's seeing 100* IATs at 15psi (running an ATI in NM). Works for me :)

My plan with the 408 is 10psi daily and 15psi on those special occasions. With the meth kit, we should see some nice drops from 100*...

So here's a question: If I don't o-ring my heads, what's the max boost I can get away with on a 9:1 compression setup? I'm considering a p&p on the stock heads, and hogging out the chamber to 77cc to drop to 8.5:1.

Thanks for the heads-up. Nice run!!

Frcedfed98 gave me the flow numbers over on LS1 on that OBX intercooler... supports up to 800hp, .2psi drop at 15 psi... FF98 also says he's seeing 100* IATs at 15psi (running an ATI in NM). Works for me :)

My plan with the 408 is 10psi daily and 15psi on those special occasions. With the meth kit, we should see some nice drops from 100*...

So here's a question: If I don't o-ring my heads, what's the max boost I can get away with on a 9:1 compression setup? I'm considering a p&p on the stock heads, and hogging out the chamber to 77cc to drop to 8.5:1.

Got some more info on the OBX? Like where to get, how much,....

15psi is only for the track and I would be happy with only 8lbs for daily driving. I may even work out a couple of different tunes for track/street and maybe using methanol in there somewhere.

Parish is running non-oring'd heads. I believe he just added a little more torque to the head bolts. He's talking of boost up to 15psi here soon.

My heads are ported to 77cc and the motor is built to 9:1 CR. I may be wrong, but I don't think you'll need that much porting. Your pistons should be custom made to give you the desired CR. Although your heads will need some work to get your flow where it needs to be, I just don't think I'd do 77cc again.

My heads are TEA o-ring'd stgII 77cc heads. 77cc is the max a 317 casting can be ported. I did it to bring down the stock compression to about 9.6:1, since I didn't plan to change out my lower parts so early. It's okay to do it, just some people's opinions is that is a little much. I have to run special short reach plugs, which is the only thing any different from what you would need for a stock setup. The plugs are very easy to find and not anymore expensive, although mine are since I got iridium. I haven't had any problems with mine.

Will you be getting ARP head bolts also? I went with head studs. That was a $320 option.

OBX? :)

That's actually one that I asked the guy a question about. Do you know if that will fit in between the frame for fitting into the lower grille opening? I asked what the width on the smaller end was, because I assume the width dimensions were given for the widest portion.

Well, I've found that the current crop of ebay sellers aren't actually answering technical questions... None resonded to mine anyway.

I don't *know* that it will fit, for us, but fits in the f-bodies. I am willing to mod for this and am planing on creating a tunnel to where-ever the IC ends up. I've also been toying with the idea of putting a fan on the IC...

Good times. I would venture to guess, that a stock STS kit @5-6 psi is probably OK for everyday driver. But adding more boost, really drives up the IAT's, and is why the intercooler is needed. What's STSs' stance on intercooling beyond the stock systems boost? Have they tested IAT's at 15psi?

Archived