lighter weight suspension

styleandspeed

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I appreciate where you are going Aaron, I really do. Unfortunately, having just spent a bunch of time under the truck working on my exhaust, I can tell you that I didn't see much benefit to spending a bunch on suspension parts. In the bed area alone, there are 4-5 between the frame cross members.

What I plan on doing is removing the spare (done), removing the spare hanger hardware (waiting for a day that I am really really bored), removing the tow bar, tow hooks, etc., eventually a roll pan, no jack/tools (that's why god made fix-a-flat).

Every little bit helps, and if those springs aren't a crazy price, it might be worth while. The Hotchkis bar, I'd do just on principle -- you'll drop a few pounds and increase the drivability.

And for you crazy 'luxuryites': Luxury cars don't need superchargers either :seeya:

Those springs are a bit steep at about $200 a piece, but if you could get them that would lower the truck, then you might not have to get the lowering kit for the back, and just get some front spindles somewhat offsetting the cost. Also, what do you mean by the tow bar?

Ther probably isn't all that much stuff that you can really do to remove weight over the front of the truck without sacrificing something. Just looking for something else to mess with, and another way to improve the performance, even if it is only slightly. I can never keep my hands out of anything.

Dcairns, and 383ss, I like both of your ideas :)

LS2 block with a 4" crank :cheers:  100+ pounds off the front and a lot more power.  :cool:

btw, you can't 'punch out' a 5.3 to a 6.0L    :crazy:

I thought I might be reaching there. I knew someone would back me up on the details. Mainly I was going for the aluminum motor idea.

The 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L are all the same block aren't they? What changes the displacement? Bore, Stroke, Heads?

Just read an interesting bit of info.  The LQ9 weighs 65 lbs more than the LS6.

That's all??

I agree with Lee, this is a luxury vehicle. I also would like to reduce the weight, mostly off the front for handling's sake but I would have to shed at least 300-lbs before I even felt a difference...

And you guys forgot to suggest a composite bed!

Mr. P. :)

And for you crazy 'luxuryites': Luxury cars don't need superchargers either

Guess MB is just wasting their money putting s/c's in the SL55 then, right? 55156.jpg

EXACTLY :D

I always thought SS meant super sport. Who knew all those 396 Nova SS and 454 Chevelle SS and Camaro SS cars were luxury! :jester:

Just read an interesting bit of info.  The LQ9 weighs 65 lbs more than the LS6.

LQ9 block is ~100 lbs more than an LS1... LS6 is basically the same thing. where did you read that?

100 lbs would be icing on the cake

Here's where I read it...

"The iron block truck LQ9 engine weighs approximately 65 pounds more than a typical LS1 and LS6."

http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/store/product1...&Category_ID=63

Archived