lighter weight suspension

styleandspeed

I was just thinking about different ways to cut some of the extra weight off of these trucks, and I remembered about seeing these http://flex-a-form.com/ fiberglass leaf springs that substantially cut down on the weight of at least the rear suspension. I e-mailed them already asking if they change towing capacity, and if they have some for stock ride height.

I was also thinking about tubular control arms, but I don't think that anyone makes those that are for stock ride height or even close. Just wondering what you guys think about the fiberglass springs, or if any of you have any more ideas to cut down on the weight of the suspension.

Aaron

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stock wheels and tires together are supposed to weigh around 78lbs a piece which could definately be improved upon, but I really like the look of the stock wheels. I was just looking for anything else that we could do to the suspension to take off weight. Any new ideas?

Stock wheels and tires together are supposed to weigh around 78lbs a piece which could definately be improved upon, but I really like the look of the stock wheels.  I was just looking for anything else that we could do to the suspension to take off weight.  Any new ideas?

The extra money spent to put the SS on a diet, could be probably better spent on giving it more power and performance. It's a truck, putting it on a diet isn't going to help it much in stock form.

I would go after the weight in the front first. The back end on a truck is light enough already compared to the front. Changing the weight ratio would throw off the handling I think.

Some ideas...

Smaller windshield washer fluid bottle

A/C - who needs it :D power increase too :thumbs:

New aluminum 5.3 punched back to a 6.0L

Carbon Fiber hood

Smaller radiator maybe?

Do they even have a carbon fiber hood for us?

I have also thought about a lighter weight battery

Maybe drop the tow hooks up front that are behind our stock bumper that don't do any good

There is also all the obvious stuff:

spare + jack

roll pan

remove tailgate

trailer hitch

m396, in a completely stock truck I definately agree that there are better things to spend the $$ on first, but our trucks are really heavy, and they would perform better in every aspect if we could get the weight down a little. I am just curious as to what different ways people have thought up. That is why I brought up the fiberglass leaf springs.

2drtahoe seems to have the right mindset. Just wondering if yall could think of anything that wouldn't really effect the functionality of the truck.

Aaron

m396, in a completely stock truck I definately agree that there are better things to spend the $$ on first, but our trucks are really heavy, and they would perform better in every aspect if we could get the weight down a little.  I am just curious as to what different ways people have thought up.  That is why I brought up the fiberglass leaf springs.

As zippy stated earlier, frontend weight is the major culprit. Hollow sway bar, lighter rim and tire, a/c, hoodliner removal, plastic engine cover removal, battery relocation, tow hooks, open air box, fiberglass hood, etc.

My point is, unless you want to give up creature comforts, I don't think you can cut much more than 1-200 lbs off the front. :happysad:

Not going to make much of a difference. Now if you could cut 500lbs, and still have the comforts, I would be chuckin' sh*t like mad. ;)

I am not looking at this as a substitute for power, just something to help along. Just looking outside the box kind of.

Also, if you can cut 200lbs off of the front that means around .2 sec in the 1/4, better handling, better braking, and less stress on every part of your drivetrain. Also if you can do it for cheap then why not?

Does anyone know the weight difference in the hotchkis hollow bar, and the stock one?

It would actually be really nice if we could get a couple of people who have taken off parts like their stock hoods, hoodliner, tow hooks, sway bar, etc to post how much they weigh. That way we would at least know for sure how much weight we could really take off.

thinking about different ways to cut some of the extra weight off of these trucks

This is insane and a subject that has been brought up before. I don't get it? You folks go out and buy a "LUXURY" truck, knowing full well it's loaded, and then try to figure out ways to cut weight!!!! :nono: If you want a super fast racing truck go buy a regular cab (or a stripped down ext cab), and then build it up with the options you want. I guarantee you it will be cheaper than buying an SS (at around $35k).

This isn't that hard of a concept guys. I am not trying to find ways to take weight off of the truck by sacrificing luxury, or functionality. That is why I was trying to find out if anyone know about lighter weight suspension!!! That would make it lighter, and not sacrifice any creature comforts. I like my SS, and all of the stuff in it, if I didn't I would be taking out interior pieces and crap like that, but I am not.

I don't know why you have such a problem with this thread Lee. I am just looking for a way to better the truck, and make it faster than it is. Not trying to transform the truck into a reg cab super fast truck. If I wanted that I would have bought a lightning, and not even bothered with the SS. Just trying to find out if anyone knows any ways to cut weight off the suspension. Not an argument about how cutting weight is stupid because our trucks are heavy anyway.

Archived