SS brakelines

7a7SS

Ok, this is day three after my install, and all I can say is WHOA!!!

It's a night and day difference! This is how our trucks should have been out of the factory.

And now to add my comments on the install.

1) I now understand why BenKey stopped after doing the back brakes :flag: Had I done the same I may have avoided a major screwup :banghead: That screwup being rounding off the rear hard line's bolt :smash: After which I bought a small piece of hard line with the bolt attached, cut both hard lines and reflanged the oem hard line :crazy:

2) The removal of the oem rubber lines didn't leak as much brake fluid as I had anticipated. Which was a good thing seeing as how after finishing the first line the undercoating and my jack stands had a misunderstanding :uhoh: The truck slid off the jack stand, luckly I hadn't taken the jack out from under the truck, the jack caught it and rolled forward a couple inches :thumbs:

3) The last line when on without a hitch! It's amazing how things come together in the end ;) I don't know if it's just me, seeing as I didn't have any oem fluid to compare to, but the fluid that I blead from the system was as black as dirty motor oil :dunno:

4) Last but not least I would like to thank BenKey for all the information he provided and the kind words in his e-mail response :cheers: And to Jason, for providing the brake fluid and the very informative links and comments on brake fluids & braking systems :cheers:

This is a great forum to belong to, Thank you Merv, administrators, and general population :thumbs:

Now I can brake with confidence :pop:

Seven :chevy:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad to hear you got it done, and still alive. :eek: Hope you changed your underoos after that. :P Now you need to come up and do mine. ;) So many people waste big money on fancy rotors without any other upgrades. (They only look good, people, they rarely help at this level) This was cheeper, and way better. :thumbs:

Did you make it to the Dave Chappell show?

:thumbs:

also on my "to do" list.

Glad you're OK. I learned the hard way about jack stands and undercoating when I was installing my drop shackles in the rear. Fortunately for me, the bricks i had blocking the front wheels only allowed it to slide about 4" off. Since then, I put the jack stands against the leaf spring brackets where they can't slide either way.

Jason, we made it to the show just as Dave walked out on stage :cool: , we were majorly delayed at the Olive Garden :nonod: When my wife and I lived there I don't remember the Olive Garden's service being so slow and incompetent :mad: At anyrate we wound up in the nose bleed section, my partner's wife was nursing a sprained ankle so we went up there to sit. The show was :crackup: just wanted it to be longer!

Let me know when you want to do yours :flag: , I have the line wrenches, a new three ton jack, a pair of six ton stands and a double flaring tool that hopefully you won't need :smash: Better safe than sorry :tear:

deezel, I do understand! I moved my jack stands to the rear axle, I'm not sure it that was the best place, but it didn't move after that :thumbs:

Seven :chevy:

I had a " :ughdance::mad::banghead: " of a time installing my lines. I hate working with fluids, and I hate working under the truck. I had problems with crossthreading and having to chase/tap bolts/nuts.

I'm pretty well convinced that these brake lines are well worth the money/trouble.

No more than two weeks after doing the lines... I'm driving home from work... I came around a nice wide sweeping 90* corner at about 35mph, and I see a large object stumble or sliding through brush, down a hill, directly on the side of the road. I immediately got on the binders, hard. It was a large buck - it landed in directly in my lane. The responce from the brakes cut down on the reaction time DRAMATICALLY. I was able to stop within 10' of where the deer was -- it had enough wits to get out of the way in case I was barelling through. The added bite from the brakes really surprised me there - if I wasn't wearing my seatbelt, it would have been even more of a surprise. ;)

so you are saying your braking performance improved??  I thought it was more of an appearance mod...

He replaced his brake lines and fluid.

I replied that it was far better to do that, then replacing the rotors w/ crossed drilled ones, something many people do.

Crossed drilled rotors are mainly an apperance item. :thumbs:

I replaced the Brake lines on my SSS. I also did the Eradispeed rotors on the front and back with the Hawk brake pads and used ATE Super Blue brake fluid. It stops on a dime. I also did the Eradispeed rotors and Hawk brake pads on my Tahoe Z71 and doing just that made a world of differencce. I will probably do the brake lines in the future but it is kind of a pain in the butt because I hate getting brake fluid all over me. I do recomend getting the big brake kit and the Hawk pads it makes them stop that much better.

I replaced the Brake lines on my SSS. I also did the Eradispeed rotors on the front and back with the Hawk brake pads and used ATE Super Blue brake fluid. It stops on a dime. I also did the Eradispeed rotors and Hawk brake pads on my Tahoe Z71 and doing just that made a world of differencce. I will probably do the brake lines in the future but it is kind of a pain in the butt because I hate getting brake fluid all over me. I do recomend getting the big brake kit and the Hawk pads it makes them stop that much better.

Aren't those pads loud??

Mr. P. :)

Archived