The Storm

rcapone

So here's today's progress. Had to pull the bumper to get that big boy shoe-horned in there but it ended up fitting really nice after I hacked off the top mounting bracket. Also got the pump mounted and just need to finish up the wiring and plumbing tomorrow - I'm playing hooky from work to finish up and make vids! :thumbsup:

Here's my Brother peeling the double sided spongy tape we put between the angle and cooler

20150315_145149.jpg

20150315_145425.jpg

Damn that makes the Maggie cooler look small!

20150315_164533.jpg

20150315_164614.jpg

Had to hack off the factory mounting bracket

20150315_165627.jpg

20150315_191642.jpg

So, are you plumbing the new cooler before or after the supercharger?

Out of SC, to cooler, to Ice Box, to pump, to SC.

Here's today's progress - Got everything functioning good, pump's working great but did a test run and IAT's are actually higher than normal!! My Brother questioned which inlet on the cooler to plug into from the SC. My vote was at the bottom because the temp sensor is right there next to it but he said top because a normal radiator flows from top to bottom. We ended up plumbing it from the SC to the top of the cooler. Does anyone know which is correct?

20150316_123021.jpg

20150316_125920.jpg

In-line shut off valve to drain the tank

20150316_130019.jpg

Drains out here - right under the passengers' side mirror

20150316_131308.jpg

Mounted the pump here, behind the skid plate

20150316_151951.jpg

Plumbing close up

20150316_142653.jpg

20150316_142703.jpg

Here's a vid... http://vid1359.photobucket.com/albums/q791/randyc/20150316_172122.mp4

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Hey randy is that a blue gates belt I see running the ac

Everything looks good bro well done

Thanks Alan. Yeah it's the blue gates racing belt, but oddly enough, they don't make it in an 8 rib for the main belt :thumbsdown:

You could probably put another 1/2 gallon of coolant in that tank yet. Looks good! How are IATs now?

Thanks, IAT's are around 25 degs. above ambient cruising down the highway. The original routing and tiny cooler ran around 10 degrees above ambient. I suspected this setup wouldn't be as efficient as the way Magnuson designed it. This setup will apparently only lower IAT's when ice is added to the tank for short track runs. Magnuson designed it to go from SC, to small tank, to pump, to cooler back to SC. Due to the very limited space to mount the pump near the ice box which is now on the other side of the truck, the coolant travels much farther and basically just sits in the ice box when no ice is added. Looks like I'll probably be going back to the original design and eliminating the ice box completely since it's more of a DD than a track truck

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Goddamn dude!!! That was a lot of work and $$$ just to take it back off... Hmm...

If you are concerned that the fluid is moving around a lot, and spending a lot of time heat soaking in the reservoir, try going from reservoir to pump to cooler to blower and back to reservoir. That way you're cooling the fluid before it even reaches the blower. See if the IAT pid drops any routing it that way. I hate to see you take all that shit off. And, I highly doubt magnuson's **** pump and little cooler is more efficient than that huge cooler and massive push fans.... Not to mention the increased fluid capacity of the tank and volume from the pump. You should be pulling a lot of heat away from that blower... Unless you're moving fluid through the cooler too quickly with that crazy pump. Like the fluid isn't staying in the cooler long enough to fully cool off before reaching the blower. If the fluid moves too quickly, you'll get the same results as if the fluid isn't moving at all... Just a few things to check before tearing it all off..

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Or leave that big cooler as an aftercooler and remount the Maggie cooler before the blower. Haha. Have a cooler before and after the blower. :lol: That pump can handle it.

OR... Sell the big cooler and buy a Killer chiller system for the Maggie cooler. I've seen IATs be 20 degrees BELOW ambient with those things....

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)