Lee's SS

Lee

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee,

One more quick question: did you get your insurance company to document the wheels, nerf bars, etc., cause that's a hellauva lot of money (the wheels alone retail for $1500k each)?

I had this done on my previous truck because I'd sunk too much money into it and they ended up taking pictures & making photocopies of all my receipts for their own records. I also ended up paying a "custom" fee, but it was only about $5 more. It was worth the peace of mind. If not and, heaven forbid, that truck ever gets stolen your insurance company won't pay you a dime for all the extras you've added. I've heard horror stories of expensive audio systems getting ripped out of vehicles and the insurance companies refusing to pay for lack of having it documented.

Hey creaker - Well, that makes me feel a lot better as that is just what I paid for my tires ($305 each). As to the insurance company. I have plenty of pictures and all the receipts so proving anything would not be a problem. That is a good idea to get some sort of rider on the policy for all the extra stuff, though (which comes to almost $6,000 in my case) and that's without the magna s-chgr. I want to add.

Why do I keep doing this? All my adult life I have bought new vehicles, added a "million dollars' worth of extras to personalize it, take care of it like I'm going to keep it forever and then three years down the road I see something else I like and sell it. The whole process then starts all over. Think of all the $$ I'd have if I just bought vehicles and drove them stock. Whew. I could have a paid for house next to Bill Gates, I think............well, maybe not right next door, but close. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Lee Awsome Truck! I was just wondering how you did some of that work on your truck pictures. Your truck picture in your signature looks amazing. I have been playing around in photoshop with some of my picutres i just took of mine and i was wondering how you selected just your truck so you could change the background to somthing else.

-Bob

Hey Bob, thanks for the compliments, buddy. I appreciate that.

As to PS. There are a number of ways to select something and knock it out (seperate) it from the background. Polygonal or Magnetic lasso tool. The Pen tool. The Extract tool etc. They all work well depending on the subject and how detailed the background is. There is also a plug in called Knock Out 2. That one is VERY good but expensive ($345). Not worth it for a hobby but definitely worth it if you us PS to make a living and do a lot of knock out work. (A side note, KO2 is available for $99 if you buy a Wacom pressure tablet. If you were getting a pen tablet anyway it's a great side benefit and I would DEFINITELY say go for it.)

To answer your question, I use KO2 or the Pen Tool most of the time. If you don't know how to use the Pen Tool then take the time to learn. It's worth the effort. I would suggest that one for most things as it's so exact and once you get good at it it's also fast.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I'll do what I can to help you learn. I LOVE this software and probably spend waaaay to much time fooling around with PS just creating.......anything. I even started a sideline business just so I could use it more often and make some money doing it. :thumbs:

Thanks, Hunter. Yeah, protecting the doors. Unfortunately, the bars won't help much I'm afraid as their too far down on the truck. I park this like my old Porsche.......waaaaay off in the back of the parking lot. I don't mind the walk to avoid door dings.

Love your choice of colors. ;) :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Lee, realy like the SS I think that you have a good sense for what looks good. Could you share the manufacturor of the wood dash parts. I had wood on my 92 and realy liked it. Thanks....

Lee, really like the SS I think that you have a good sense for what looks good.
Sweet truck, I really like the rims and woodgrain

Thanks guys. I got mine from exoticwooddash.com (800-354-4449). There are many mfg's/suppliers but I like their product. It's VERY thin and is cut very well to match the dash. They are also one of the few (if not the only) mfg offering real wood. They are also headquartered here in Phx. so I could go down and pick it up rather then waiting for UPS. ;)

In the strict sense of design, wood is not supposed to me "mixed" with grey interiors. They have (four I think) different woods and really should be matched with tan interior vehicles. The only product that is made for grey is the Carbon Fiber. or brushed aluminum. To me that just defeats the purpose of why I wanted something on my dash - to get rid of all that grey. And Carbon Fiber just adds more grey and I just am not big on the aluminun look even though that seems to be big right now.

If you go with this I'd advise the burlwood. Burl has a red tint to it like Mahogany and that goes with grey (red and grey being complimentary colors). The other woods are too brown to be mixed with grey.

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
To me that just defeats the purpose of why I wanted something on my dash - to get rid of all that grey. And Carbon Fiber just adds more grey and I just am not big on the aluminun look even though that seems to be big right now.

Lee: :thumbs: I like the dash it looks :cool:

I know what you mean about the drab interior selections on the SS. I have taken a look at the web site, and was thinking about the black Denali pieces (carbon fiber?) Then ran across the custom coatings and am thinking that the white dash interior cold look pretty good to match the white gauges, what do you think?

White Dash :confused:

I knew that posting the question, I was just trying to move some of the flack that you have been taking on the wood grain. :thumbs:

I called the company and asked about the Denali black wood grain and am going to have them custom fit that in my truck $159, I think it looks really good and meshes the gray and black together, what do you think?

wd393_sm.jpg

I am a fan of Black...

Archived