radix power

zippy

the boys at tech were watching last i knew. i think most people if they ever hooked up a wideband would find some of this info themselves. most people just buy a custom tune from a vendor which is quite often considerably better than the tune that came with the supercharger. the one's that do their own programming though is where some of the problems can come in. when you're tuning and your only monitoring is of the KR* and stock 02's you can be missing out on some very important information.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure if anyone is interested but I have a stock magnacharger tune for and 05 LQ4 which comes with the 3.1" pulley, It's an HPTuners bin file.

can you e-mail that to me, i'd like to look at it?

well, my findings are from what i can tell the 42lb hr injectors that the radix kit comes with are only just big enough for the stock pulley and good tuning. if you notice the track times from the radix trucks you'll find that the mph is always very low. with two SS trucks sitting side by side and doing tuning work we found that every time just before the shift point on either the truck would begin to creep up to lean. the amount and time is very little and no KR* is present due to this. we found this by installing a 2.8 pulley on an SS this weekend. it was certainly quicker and had we simply tuned it as most i suspect have by adding fuel and adjusting the timing tables to prevent KR*, we'd never have noticed the issue. running the smaller pulley certainly made the truck quicker and even the KR* wasn't rediculous. there was a small amount coming in over 5200 or so though. at this point we decided instead of just getting the timing tables where they needed to be and adding some fuel to the VE and PE tables we'd put the wide band on it. the truck ran a solid 11.8:1 afr by my settings all the way to around 4200 or so and began creeping lean. by around 5200 it was at the 14:1 area and at the shift point it had topped 15.x:1. trying every trick i could come up with to add fuel to the truck seemed to only help minorly and i could never keep it below 13:1 from around 5200 and up. it consistantly was over 14:1 by the shift. to see if it was just my settings we put the stock pulley back on. at this point the same tune resulted in an afr of around 9.2:1-11.3 all the way to around 5600-5700 where it would creap to around 13:1 very briefly and just before the shift so this was acceptable. i ended up retuning the truck back to the settings i had for the stock 3.3 pulley. the other truck sitting there had just had a radix put on it as well as a corsa exhaust. i had modified the airbox some also to get more air in. both trucks on the stock radix tune never showed lean because of the low timing tables and lower shift points. lower timing tables means unburned fuel and of course shows up as being rich. with a properly worked over timing table and wideband VE and PE table both trucks would go lean in the same spot which was about 50-100rpm just before the shift (lean being over 13:1 in this case). the 03' truck we had sitting there had a freshly installed walbro 255 in it and fresh fuel filter. we figured we'd test for a fuel volume issue by re-installing the auxillary pump. running both the walbro and auxillary pump did not change the issue. i know that when dcairns bought his radix it had a 3.1 pulley on it. the later models come with a 3.3. i believe this is more due to fuel requirements rather than the compression issue. it's been shown more than enough times that the smaller pulleys have no issue even on the stock radix tune driving around and having acceptable KR*. running the stock very rich radix tune will even allow for a smaller pulley and not show an issue because of the very weak timing tables and rich as hell program. with weak timing the KR* doesn't show to be an issue therefore even on a better tune such as a mail order tune one only watches for the KR* and never even bothers to check to see if the truck is lean or not. having driven the same truck with a 2.8 pulley and a 3.3 pulley, i'd say it would have shown gains in the quarter because the truck was so much quicker in the lower rpms and it crosses the traps before going lean in 3rd due to rpm becomes a problem (caused by the tall tires). i'd certainly like to see some more wideband numbers on this. the truck we put the 2.8 pulley on we ended up taking it back off until we can get bigger injectors for it an try again. i just didn't feel safe letting it go like that. of course our colder and more dense air up here in michigan only makes the problem a bit worse. with the only mods to this truck being my tunining work, a trailblazer converter, and a zippy kit, the truck went a 13.64@98mph. this is with a non-removable subwoofer box still in the truck and a heavy fiberglass toneau cover still on it and in 75 degree weather. taking away the 200 or more extra pounds would have netted some gain as will an exhaust, etc. i think that the reason the radix trucks are consistantly being held into the 13's even with going to the smaller pulleys and upping the boost considerably is these damn small injectors they come with. i feel a radix truck tuned with larger injectors and a smaller pulley with the average bolt on's would be dead into the 12's like the procharger trucks, etc with the same amount of boost (which comes in considerably earlier).

Just got off the phone with Mike over at Superchargers4Less.com, he assembles all his ATI Procharger Kits with Marine 43LB Injectors and he said something about them being "Stubby" so it's a direct replacement with out having to modify anything but the program. He also sends all of his kits out with Bryan's Tune from PCM for Less. This guy is my new hero... Here's another tidbit, His Base ATI Kit w/8-9PSI, 2 Core Intercooler for our trucks is $3150, He gets $350 for the 43LB Injectors and $250 for Bryans Tune and no core charge. Not too Shabby! :cheers:

Just got off the phone with Mike over at Superchargers4Less.com, he assembles all his ATI Procharger Kits with Marine 43LB Injectors and he said something about them being "Stubby" so it's a direct replacement with out having to modify anything but the program. He also sends all of his kits out with Bryan's Tune from PCM for Less. This guy is my new hero... Here's another tidbit, His Base ATI Kit w/8-9PSI, 2 Core Intercooler for our trucks is $3150, He gets $350 for the 43LB Injectors and $250 for Bryans Tune and no core charge. Not too Shabby!

Those injectors are the same the Radix come with. Called stubby because they are about half an inch shorter than a normal sized injector. They require the same connectors as your stock injectors. It's when you go beyond that that it changes.

The 03' sure does go like hell now. It will beat that mallet vette to 60. There is not a driver that could make that vette win to 60 on the street with a street tire.

I thought you'd enjoy a little update. I got real track times tonight. I cut a 1.67 60' on one run. On my logging software, 0-60 took 3.7 seconds. :driving:

As far as injectors are concerned, I ran the hell out of my truck tonight. No wideband data, but O2s stayed above .900mv and I didnt blow up. 6350 shifts.

The 03' sure does go like hell now. It will beat that mallet vette to 60. There is not a driver that could make that vette win to 60 on the street with a street tire.

I thought you'd enjoy a little update. I got real track times tonight. I cut a 1.67 60' on one run. On my logging software, 0-60 took 3.7 seconds. :driving:

As far as injectors are concerned, I ran the hell out of my truck tonight. No wideband data, but O2s stayed above .900mv and I didnt blow up. 6350 shifts.

OMG - I am going to *have* to see your truck!

Mr. P. :)

Nice Times BIGTEX :cheers: I bet you will be in the 11's soon with that Blower. Before the STS came out a lot of Nay Sayers were pounding the Radix saying it was to small ect.. Looks like it works just fine for you. Congrats Try some Alky injection, if you can get the timing into the mid 20's she really jumps the power curve North :driving:

Going back to my comments on having your shift points at 6000. Three motors dyno'ed two 427's and one 408, showed the curve coming down early and the IAT going up. Had O2's and EGT's on each cylinder which showed some funky distribution both at idle and high rpm. All of these motors had pretty small cams FWIW

Having never made it to the track shifting higher may net better ET's but for my setup I'll never know.

went back to the track today with mike's truck. started out with a 14.1 and tuned it to a [email protected]. there was a bit more in it. when we got there the temps were much colder, around 55 or so. the best pass was made at around 80 degrees or so. it now is on it's 24th flash. i wish the last flash had been when it was still cold. oh well, more to go. congrats richard...

So just to recap on all this wonderful info. I'm new to this stuff and i do all my own work so i'm trying to figure all this out on my own. I have an 03 and just bought a Radix that i will be installing in the next week or two. Is the main issue with the AFR to do with the fuel pressure regulator and its location/ fitting supplied by Magnacharger. What should i do different or in addition to the magnacharger instructions to get the most out of my purchase. I also get the impression that a mail order tune is better than the superchips tune provided in the kit, is this true? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Thanx Matt

So just to recap on all this wonderful info.  I'm new to this stuff and i do all my own work so i'm trying to figure all this out on my own.  I have an 03 and just bought a Radix that i will be installing in the next week or two.  Is the main issue with the AFR to do with the fuel pressure regulator and its location/ fitting supplied by Magnacharger.  What should i do different or in addition to the magnacharger instructions to get the most out of my purchase.  I also get the impression that a mail order tune is better than the superchips tune provided in the kit, is this true?  Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Thanx                              Matt

If you have an 03 you shouldn't have a problem with the fuel pressure/injectors. Ninety percent of the 04's who get the radix won't have an issue either. Just the guys pushing it really hard. It's not even a magnacharger issue really. It's a stock fuel system design issue.

Archived