Pacesetter Header Install

BenKey

Have you ever had long tube headers before?

They put some strange sounds out as it is. You won't hear air, you'll hear what sounds like a tick sound if you have a leak - not to be confused with the tinq sound you hear from the force of the air hitting the collector.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you ever had long tube headers before?

They put some strange sounds out as it is.  You won't hear air, you'll hear what sounds like a tick sound if you have a leak - not to be confused with the tinq sound you hear from the force of the air hitting the collector.

no i havent ever had long tubes. Im not sure wether im hear a tick or a tinq or what i tinq even sounds like ill just hope its the tinq. it kinda sounds like an old gm truck from inside the cab.

• 4 weeks later...
they seem good so far.  I think I hear what may be a leak though. I really hope not but when i get on the gas a little i hear a funny sound from the engine compartment like air getting out.

I got the same sound coming out of mine, but every one told me not to worry about it too much. At first I thought it was a leak but I was told it was actually how the headers flow.

they seem good so far.  I think I hear what may be a leak though. I really hope not but when i get on the gas a little i hear a funny sound from the engine compartment like air getting out.

I got the same sound coming out of mine, but every one told me not to worry about it too much. At first I thought it was a leak but I was told it was actually how the headers flow.

Could you guys elbrate on this sound your hearing?

Two sounds you'll hear on L/Ts. One of them not only long tubes.

One of them is a tink sound. The other is a tick. The tink comes from the velocity of the air hitting the collector. The tick is a leak - usually.

A leak is not inherent with just Pacesetters, it is for all headers. If you don't have the bolts tightened to the right spec, in the right sequence, and not locked down with a specialty bolt - chances are you could get a leak.

I get "the sound" too. I had flanges welded to the collectors w/ 3" reduced to the stock (2 3/4") cats, to a 3" Xpipe to dual round Maggys/

I was hearing what I swore was a leak and although everything is welded, except where the flanges bolt to the 3"pipe (and that has a gasket), I brought it back twice to have all the welds checked. They put the stethoscope to everything, re-welded the flanges from the inside just to be safe, and re-torqued the header bolts. After all that, I still hear the ticking/tinging/whateverthe****itis noise but it's definately the collectors. Only audible under light acceleration. makes me wish I had my S/C again, at least I appreciated the noise IT made. But, the power is amazing and it just wants to go-go-go now, so no regrets. The stainless steel longtubes aren't gonna be as quiet as the iron manifolds were; just the way it is.

• 2 months later...

Archived