Chase's 427 Lsx Twin Turbo Build

04CHASE

well huge day of frustration , got everything ready to go and found a bunch of fuel leaks . fixed them after hours of trying new things. still have a small one but a small drip on a fitting.

now to crank and nothing. check fuel , good , check spark good. dtc's show a p0343 cam voltage code. so now im pissed and a few corona's deep. going to give it some thought . right now could be wrong cam gear or something internal . fuggin sucks .

did you use the ls2 to ls1 cam sensor harness ?

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did you use the ls2 to ls1 cam sensor harness ?

Chase, this is an excellent point here. I feel all your furstration is centered around this. Assuming you are using the the LS2 cam position sensor? If so, which one? There are two:

The black LS2 sensor part # 12568983

The Tan LS2 sensor part # 12585545

A quick investigational check can be done like this guy did:

LS2 Cam sensor issue

More info on the sensor issue can be found here:

http://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-...3-problems.html

As BlownFogger540 stated, that harness (I believe, could be wrong) was intended to work with the tan sensor and not the black one. There may have been a wire location switched when GM switched from the black on to the tan one in the later models??? Hence the guy in the corvette link fixing his problem by switching the two outer wires of the sensor harness.

Maybe someone else with the GM background can chime in on this one. This is uncharted territory for me however this is where I would focus! :cheers:

now that you guys say this we did see something like that when we were troubleshooting. im at work now kevin but simply put , switching the two wires on the cam sensor harness may fix it?

ok tried switching the pins on the cam ext harness yesterday . nothing . coil packs could possibly be switched around as well( wiring swapped 180 )

here is a pic of the cam gear and the pic of the tan sensor , need to check on compadibility.

2009-06-10130324.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

coil packs could possibly be switched around as well( wiring swapped 180 )

I did that on my build. The motor wouldn't even fire. I got one or two loud backfires and flames out the headers. It was obvious that it was out of time. I switched the stupid intermediate harnesses (that plug into the main harness) for the coil packs form the passenger side to the drivers side and she fired right up. Do you have a wire diagram? You could easily check the wire colors going to each coil and see if they are consistent through the main harness, the intermediate harness and finally terminating at the coil pack.

Check the harness going into coil / cylinder #1.. Wire colors should be:

A - BLACK - GND

B - BROWN - ref. lo

C - PURPLE - CTRL.

D - PINK - IGN

Check the harness going into coil / cylinder #2... Wire colors should be:

A - BLACK - GND

B - BROWN - ref. lo

C - RED / WHITE - CTRL.

D - PINK - IGN

So you can see the only different colors are the CTRL wires. That being known, here are the colors you need to see for the rest of the coils - cylinders:

3 - LIGHT BLUE

4 - GREEN / WHITE

5 - DARK GREEN

6 - LIGHT BLUE / WHITE

7 - RED

8 - PURPLE / WHITE

Hope you get her running soon! Gremlins are a PITA for sure!

Edited by Krambo
spelling (see edit history)

cylinder 1 is drivers front and #2 is passenger front ?

i think we tried this but need to double check for sure.

the only thing on the cam ext harness is its shoved so far back behing the manifold its hard to read on the plug which is a, b , and c. but the bottom of the engine is easy to access so thats where i switched the pins. the symptoms i have seems identical to what i ive read so i think im in the right spot just have the get everything right . not to mention the place the truck at is closed on the weekends and thats when i have free time .

cylinder 1 is drivers front and #2 is passenger front ?

Yes Sir.

Starting near the fans on the driver's side (going toward the firewall) ---> 1, 3, 5, 7.

Starting near the fans on the passenger side (going toward the firewall) --->2, 4, 6, 8.