A really good blow job

Benkey this kit is a complete bolt on kit as is the radix competent installers who have done one or two can install it in 3 hrs first timers will take maybe 5hrs

Thats not bad in my book, The next decision is whether you prefer turbo or S/C both kits are very good at what they do its personal choice.

:cheers:

Jonathan

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this had been ready when I was looking I would have considered it. I had a turbo before and man, it rocked! It was like that James Bond movie (with Bond in that space centrifuge and the G-Force rippling his face)....it was highly addicting! :eek::eek::eek:

Hey Lee... I'm hooked on Radix.

Just waiting to see what lies in my future with our latest round of 'outsourcing'. :fume:

I wonder the dependability factor of the turbo?

Everything I've read the Radix runs forever and ever.

My dad had a Regal GN, it was strong as all get-out but did have turbo 'issues'...

WW :sleep:

Hey Nightshift,

Turbo issues generally stem from the fact that they run so hot the oil formes carbon inside the turbo housing because the oil burnes onto the bearings as it can't cool, plus many owners do not let the turbos spool down before the turn the car offtherefore the turbo is spinning at 100,000 without oil feed the good thing with the STS kit is it runs so much cooler that there are no such issues and the longevity is greatly increased if not indefinate. as a matter of course I allways let my car sit for 20-30 seconds before I shut it down... with a turbo charger that is

:seeya:

Jonathan

Is the kit a bolt-on? Or, is some modification/fabrication necessary?

A bolt-on in terms of the Radix, is just that. Remove intake, replace with Radix blower - that simple. No changing of anything (like injectors), no welding, no fabrication, nothing. Just remove bolts and put new bolts in.

Benkey

The kit is a truly bolt on kit maybe a few more bolt ons than the Radix as you have to bolt on an in line oil pump to feed the turbo with oil etc but the basic system rquires no injectors or anything else the system bolts straight up to the factory exhasut system so really yes it is a true bolt on system but like I said a few more bolt-ons than the radix although I am not too familiar with how much work is involved in installing one.

Jonathan

Jonathan,

Thanks for the imput. I'm not familar with turbos or blowers for that matter.

Of course almost any mid 80's American car had issues anyway.

My last American car (aside from the Buick) was an POS 305 ci '86 TransAm.

We'd get a hurricane or tropical storm I'd park it next to a weak wall. :D

I could make a long story out of that, but I wont, that would get off topic.

I remember he had repeat issues with the GN, after he passed, she got rid of it. By then it was well beat.

After that I just never gave thought to a turbo.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your install goes and pics.

Get wrenching! :jester:

WW :smash:

Benkey

The kit is a truly bolt on kit maybe a few more bolt ons than the Radix as you have to bolt on an in line oil pump to feed the turbo with oil etc but the basic system rquires no injectors or anything else the system bolts straight up to the factory exhasut system so really yes it is a true bolt on system but like I said a few more bolt-ons than the radix although I am not too familiar with how much work is involved in installing one.

Jonathan

Well get it put on and stop talking about it. :P

No one more than me wants this thing on I hate looking at it just sitting there I want a whistler on my SS.

Benkey Mine will require a little more modification than standard install 'cause I have a true dual set up and we will have to bring it down to one to fit the turbo.

Cheers all

Will keep you posted

Jonathan

Hey Wayne,

Me too, buddy. :cool: I've thought about this for a year now as I was worried about losses on resale. Then about a month ago I just said the hell with it and desided to do it. Now I'm just waiting for some financial things too fall into place and I'm down at AZ Speed and Marine with a smile on my face. Hope things work about for you at work so you can feel more comfortable about getting one. :cheers:

Jonathan,

That's interesting about letting a turbo slow down before shutting off the engine. I never thought about that but it makes sense.

Jonathan,

That's interesting about letting a turbo slow down before shutting off the engine. I never thought about that but it makes sense.

I was told early on to let the turbo spool down before shutting her down and even though at times it was inconvenient, I still let the car sit for one minute before turning the key off. I was rewarded with 9 years of trouble-free operation. As a matter of fact, I think the only thing I replaced in all that time besides oil and air filters was a thermostat. When all was said and done, she had 109,000 miles on her.

Jonathan,

I was told early on to let the turbo spool down before shutting her down and even though at times it was inconvenient, I still let the car sit for one minute before turning the key off. I was rewarded with 9 years of trouble-free operation. As a matter of fact, I think the only thing I replaced in all that time besides oil and air filters was a thermostat. When all was said and done, she had 109,000 miles on her.

Its not so much letting it spool down but to let it cool down and stops the oil from gumming up. You should invest in a "turbo timer" so that it will stay running for an adjustable amount of time to let the turbo cool down without you or you keys still in the ignition. Most people that I know of that have turbo cars use them. You can get them from summit or pretty much anywhere for like $100. It will definatly help lengthen the life of your turbo and can be more convinient.

They also make a part called an afteroiler, even when you turn the car off oil is still able to get to the turbo. This will make it so you don't have to wait for the turbo to wind down. At least they use to make them for turbo cars in the 90's.

some of you guys may be interested in seeing Jim's turbo pics http://www.neufamily.org/turbo%20pic's/ You will have to click on the pic and go back and click on another pic to see another. It's a 03 RCSB 4X4 with nitrous too. This is it on the dyno http://www.neufamily.org/turbo%20pic's...s/turbodyno.wmvHis old truck was a 99 ECSB 4X4 with a whipple and nitrous and it ran 11.90's. You can learn a lot by just going through his directory, including 4L80E conversions.

DSCN1677.JPG

DSCN1734.JPG

pumpvs100octane.JPG

Archived