A really good blow job

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:uhoh:

My guess would be yes, Brent.  You can get the same Bosch inline fuel pump for about $150 at a few different sites.  Don't know how much Magna charges.

:confused: Benkey, sorry to belabor this issue, :confused:

Are you saying that I need the pump when I do the injectors because our current fuel pumps can't push out enough fuel for the upgraded injectors? Or is it just a recommendation in case I go with a much smaller pulley or up the boost on the turbo?

Is there a magic HP/TQ range that our fuel pumps in the early 2003s ( I bought mine in July last year) max out? (500HP or 450 HP??) :confused: I think I understand that I need the larger injectors for over about 450HP, and I hear the Multec 43lb injectors are the way to go. Just want to make sure that IF I NEED both, I do it right the first time. But if I don't really need both, I could use the penneys elsewhere, like in the tranny. :P

Also, somewhere in a previous post, I think Slimsoftball mentioned or maybe Zippy, that an inline was bad and to go with a replacement in tank fuel pump. Can someone comment on this? thanks for all the help.

I'm getting the parts list ready to build my BeaSSt! :thumbs: Hoping to do the tranny and fuel upgrades this next weekend or two; then see how ssblackss goes and finish with the STS Turbo or maybe Vortec underdriven V7-Ysi supercharger, depending.

I'm getting the parts list ready to build my BeaSSt!  :thumbs: Hoping to do the tranny and fuel upgrades this next weekend or two; then see how ssblackss goes and finish with the STS Turbo or maybe Vortec underdriven V7-Ysi supercharger, depending.

Brent, what kind of performance are you looking for? Are you going to build a stronger bottom end? Do you think the STS or the V7 has that much more potential without a stronger short block. What are your plans for the transmission?

Looking forward to seeing which way you go :chevy:

I'm getting the parts list ready to build my BeaSSt!   :thumbs: Hoping to do the tranny and fuel upgrades this next weekend or two; then see how ssblackss goes and finish with the STS Turbo or maybe Vortec underdriven V7-Ysi supercharger, depending.

Brent, what kind of performance are you looking for? Are you going to build a stronger bottom end? Do you think the STS or the V7 has that much more potential without a stronger short block. What are your plans for the transmission?

Looking forward to seeing which way you go :chevy:

MN C 5, I have a great amount of respect for you and watch your posts.

Let me start with the preverbial I don't totally know and am not all that sure. But I know I don't want the tranny to fall apart when I put 500+FWHP through it ( I am running 400 or so now according to the 1/4 mile time and MPH.) Joe, at JAGS in San Antonio is working on a parts list for going through the tranny and basically rebuilding it with stronger parts where needed. I currently have the first tiny step with the shift kit and Corvette Servos, but we are planning a TT3000 converter (so I can still tow) and a stronger shell, replacing the plastic accuator pump, upgrading to the red cluctches for 1-2 and blue for 2-3 and 3-4 with 3washers all around on the springs, maybe a hardened input shaft, and some other stuff that then went over my head as Joe was describing them to me. :jester: It sounded to me like the same things that most of the rest of you guys are doing to harden the tranny just a bit.

As for the STS or V7, I do think they have the potential to do more than a Radix can do when I do strenthen the bottom end and still blow cooler air natively while I underdrive them a bit and take another step in the search for HP. I have spoken with Rick, Steve, and Dave at STS and some technical folks at Vortec and others with Eaton, (and technical folks around here and at most of the manufacturers for that point) plus you can go to the web sites and look at the blower charts and with a little mathematics can see what kind of air you need in a 6.0l to get things moving and where the blowers match up to that...and I guess in the end we shall see. The boys at STS are really happy with using the T04E 60-1 in their LS-1 Camaros and say that it produces gobs of power even down as low as 2800RPM with sub second response. The terms they used were that it almost feels like big displacement. They also mentioned that spending extra money on the GT series and ball bearings didn't net them much more HP over the 3k-6k RPM range and still blew cooler air than other units they tested. I also like it that testing from several turbo guys has found that headers are a waste of time which is another $1k in the pocket for other mods.

Vortec says the V7 has a wide blower map on it, so I can I underdrive it for a while and do something similar to the long pipe without an intercooler that STS does and it is extremely probably to get the same kind of cooler air with little loss of psi then add parts later as I go more balls to the wall. I do plan to someday, replace most of the engine componentry with hardened stuff and want my current investments to still be usable on that day. Teh vortec guy I spoke with was actually fairly jazzed about the idea and wants to see how it all turns out if I choose that solution.

I submit that I may be wrong, but I just don't think the Eaton MP112 (blower unit for Radix and others) has the ability to push that much air without overdriving which causes it to be prone to overheating and even failure. I guess I believe you know this more than I with your setup and the Radix not being able to supply enough air for you and that fantastic 427. I raced a Radix blown SS when I was just beginning to mod my truck and it didn't impress me at all as the truck only beat me by a few truck lengths, 3 MPH, and .7 of a second. Somewhere in my gut ( :D always wanted to say that) and through some research as well, I believe that a few of these other options with units designed for a bit more air movement, I can underdrive them just a bit and actually still get more power at less total cost... and be able to upgrade as I strengthen the bottom end and some other things along the way. This is just an intermediate step. Besides, at the end of all this, I believe that I can do some of this myself with the right parts and end up with a better performing system, at a bit of a lower cost than going with a ready made precanned solution. As for what kind of power am I looking for??? MORE! :D. I sold my C5 vette for this truck, and I had a list of mods not just bolt ons, to it that let me walk away from at least a few other vettes.

I love this truck better than my vette cuz I can be more comfortable and take the family, and haul stuff and tow the boat; etc, I just miss that seat of the pants KICK. Business has kept me busy, so it has been a while coming...I am just slowly upgrading and tinkering with this baby to get towards that kind of pull when I mash the GO pedal.

I guess finally, I have never been one to go with the flow. I kinda row my own river. We shall see if it pays off.

Hopefully next week during the week or the weekend we ran into an issue with a fuel pump but we seem to have all we need to get it in just trying to get everything in order time wise. I got laid off this week so my time is pretty open just need to get my sons birthday over this weekend and then I can go down to SA and get the whistler on :D

Cheers

ssblackss

Sorry about your lay-off. My future still in limbo..

They're continuing to hang are jobs over our heads, been going for 3 and a half years.

Even before Enron, one thing or another :fume:

When this is all over, Williams will have some serious employee relations issues to resolve.

They've managed to alienate every employee company wide.

Are y'all still planning to bolt things together next weekend?

If so get with me on the details, I should be off the weekend.

I wouldn't mind hanging out, could always be the bar-keep... :jester:

WW :lol:

C'mon down Everyones welcome to the party Just don't let me have too many beers or the install might not quite go as planned... We have both Joe and Allen involved so we are well covered on competant engineers and now that we have all things together we can get going. I would really like to meet you guys and we can shoot the sh1t and have fun Have yet to book a hotel room any one know of a good cheap one in the area?

I will be heading down Thursday through Sat/Sun depending on how we get on with the install looking forward to it and seeing you all for beer and Pizza

:seeya::thumbs:

Jonathan

Archived