Cam Swap On A Budget

Fireman31

Are you guys able to do your cam install with the radiator in?

If you can do it with the radiator in it would be tight. Just to be safe remove it. Its only two bolts, two hose clamps, and four cooler e clips. Id rather take the small amount of time removing it rather than risk punching a hole in a core then have to wait to get it repaired

Are you guys able to do your cam install with the radiator in?

Really, I thought the Rad would have to come out for certain.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Every cam I have done on these trucks I have had to pull it.

If you can do it with the radiator in it would be tight. Just to be safe remove it. Its only two bolts, two hose clamps, and four cooler e clips. Id rather take the small amount of time removing it rather than risk punching a hole in a core then have to wait to get it repaired

The radiator does need to come out. We did some measuring Saturday, I do not remember the exact numbers, but if I remember right we were something like 2-3 inches shy of being able to remove the cam with the radiator in.....

• 2 weeks later...

The radiator does need to come out. We did some measuring Saturday, I do not remember the exact numbers, but if I remember right we were something like 2-3 inches shy of being able to remove the cam with the radiator in.....

danny and i got my cam out AND in when we did my swap with the radiator just leaned towards the front of the truck. i had pics of it but dont know where.

• 5 months later...

Were you ever able to make it back to the dyno after this swap was done? I'm curious as hell to see what you gained. I'm about to do a similar swap myself.

Thanks,

Rob

Hitting the track first on October 16th, then hitting the dyno some time in November. Should be interesting to see what she does. :takealook:

• 4 weeks later...

The day is quickly approaching. I just got my cam in as well... I went with a custom EPS 222/226 grind. I'm still waiting too put my TBSS intake and bigger injectors in there, but it runs pretty good for now.

I ran a best of 14.3 @ 94.6 with the stock cam and converter, it will be interesting to see where this cam gets me, and again after the converter.

Edited by Rob Nap (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How are you liking it?

I love it, the idle alone is awesome enough let alone the increase in power. I got the first 2 shakedown runs in at Atco yesterday, the best being....

13.69 @ 99.95 with a 2.09 60ft spinning them out of the hole even with DR's, traction is a real big problem now. There is definitely more left in her, once I get traction down, run some logs, and have Charlie tweak my tune, I think(and hope) that i'll be able to pick up another 1-2 tenths......

• 2 months later...