Cam Swap On A Budget

Fireman31

• 3 months later...

Like the direction your build is going. Budget-wise, I would take the $50 you have budgeted towards "gaskets" and put it towards replacing the timing chain and cam sprocket with the stock LS2 pieces (about $50), we did that on 8 UR HMI's engine and vacuum jumped 2-inches, MPG improved 2MPG. Budget-wise, I cannot remember needing new gaskets doing a cam swap?? Just the crank bolt ($7) and oil pump O-ring ($7).

With your converter and tune it should run really hard! :driving:

Mr. P. :)

Like the direction your build is going. Budget-wise, I would take the $50 you have budgeted towards "gaskets" and put it towards replacing the timing chain and cam sprocket with the stock LS2 pieces (about $50), we did that on 8 UR HMI's engine and vacuum jumped 2-inches, MPG improved 2MPG. Budget-wise, I cannot remember needing new gaskets doing a cam swap?? Just the crank bolt ($7) and oil pump O-ring ($7).

With your converter and tune it should run really hard! driving.gif

Mr. P. smile.gif

Us 06' SSS guys already have the LS2 timing set Steve. As well as other LS2/LS6 parts peelout.gif

Us 06' SSS guys already have the LS2 timing set Steve. As well as other LS2/LS6 parts peelout.gif

True dat; but the reason I suggested is, that when the timing chain gets 60K on it there is enough stretch that it makes sense to spend $50 and replace it with a new one, since the front of the motor is apart at that time already to R&R the camshaft. By 60K-miles it's stretched enough to retard your cam timing a couple degrees and it will affect your mileage and performance significantly. My 2-cents.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

UPDATE

I have knocked two items off the list that are not totally necessary, the fuel pump and UDP are going to wait a while. I am going to try and do more with less so to say. The install is going to be sometime in late winter, as my recent job change among other things have kept me very busy.

As for the timing chain, I have heard mixed feelings about changing it. Three very reputable sources that I have spoken to tell me it is not necessary to change it......

UPDATE...As for the timing chain, I have heard mixed feelings about changing it. Three very reputable sources that I have spoken to tell me it is not necessary to change it......

Easy to answer that - put a degree wheel on it and measure the slack in it! I wish I were closer, I'd let you borrow my degree wheel; that way you could make sure that the ICL is installed exactly where it needs to be as specified on the cam card.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Easy to answer that - put a degree wheel on it and measure the slack in it! I wish I were closer, I'd let you borrow my degree wheel; that way you could make sure that the ICL is installed exactly where it needs to be as specified on the cam card.

I may have access to one. I'll let you know Dan.

Mr. P. smile.gif

Can't degree a cam with out an adjustable timing set to accomodate for any valve event variations/differences. Dan I did not change mine and the truck had 60K on the clock and now has 66K. I drive her hard and dont have any issues. Good luck!

Can't degree a cam with out an adjustable timing set to accomodate for any valve event variations/differences. Dan I did not change mine and the truck had 60K on the clock and now has 66K. I drive her hard and dont have any issues. Good luck!

I agree never changed the timing set on my 5.3 when I did the cam swap, seemed fine has 50K and the engine is a 2002. So if it's in good shape I say go for it. That's just my opinion though.... smile.gif

Edited by Matt* (see edit history)

I'm going to have to agree with Mr. P on this one, it's not as if the motor will not run OK or not, it's whether or not it's going to put out what it can. I've seen people install a brand new chain and it have about as much slack in it as the old one that came out and generally gets worse after a motor has been align bored, but in these cases there are also chains available that are shorter to cure the issue. It's not a big of an issue as it was in the older days due to better equipment, but just because a cam is supposed to be ground on certain numbers doesn't necessarily mean that it was. The only way to know is to check out the numbers with a degree wheel. It is also not entirely true that the only way to adjust cam timing is through an adjustable timing chain; all you need is a drill and a set of offset timing bushings.

CCA-4760_RZ.jpg

I'm going to have to agree with Mr. P on this one, it's not as if the motor will not run OK or not, it's whether or not it's going to put out what it can. I've seen people install a brand new chain and it have about as much slack in it as the old one that came out and generally gets worse after a motor has been align bored, but in these cases there are also chains available that are shorter to cure the issue. It's not a big of an issue as it was in the older days due to better equipment, but just because a cam is supposed to be ground on certain numbers doesn't necessarily mean that it was. The only way to know is to check out the numbers with a degree wheel. It is also not entirely true that the only way to adjust cam timing is through an adjustable timing chain; all you need is a drill and a set of offset timing bushings.

CCA-4760_RZ.jpg

Same difference... Modifiying the OEM sprocket to allow for adjustments.

good info guys. Some of our best tech posters are in this thread :rocks:

when I had mine apart it had slack...and that was 30k of miles. I left mine in there, but agree with the possibility of there being some error, and when you want every drop of power a couple of degrees that go unaccounted for can be power on the table...or worse tuning problems. If this was not a 'budget' build I would degree the cam and get the new Ls2 stuff

You hit the nail on the head Joe, this is going to be a down and dirty cam swap, nothing crazy as budget is a big part of the plan. Am I correct in saying that you have to pull the oil pan to change the timing set?