Z06 Brake Conversion

rudy91040

Hello, I joined this forum for the sole purpose of finding out more about these brackets. I hope I don't ask a question that has already been asked, been reading through the posts and don't see my question answered.

I REALLY want to used Camaro SS brakes not Z06 brakes, I like the idea of brakes made for a heavier car, and the brembo name doesn't hurt either. Also have a 07 Tahoe not a Silverado SS. Will the brackets work for the 2010 Camaro SS brembos? And will the brackets even work on the Tahoe. If so I'm buying. If not gonna have to make my own locally.

Thanks in advance for your work on these brackets and my questions.

Sorry, but the the Brembos on the Camaros and the CTSVs will not work with these brackets. To be honest, I will be surprised if you can get them to work at all on a gmt800 or gmt900 spindle. I have already had them mocked up myself. I decided against making a bracket. Nothing seemed like a very good route. It might be easier if you went with a different rotor than the Baers used with the Z06 conversion. For the Tahoe, as long as you have stock spindles, they should bolt on no problem.

Sorry, but the the Brembos on the Camaros and the CTSVs will not work with these brackets. To be honest, I will be surprised if you can get them to work at all on a gmt800 or gmt900 spindle. I have already had them mocked up myself. I decided against making a bracket. Nothing seemed like a very good route. It might be easier if you went with a different rotor than the Baers used with the Z06 conversion. For the Tahoe, as long as you have stock spindles, they should bolt on no problem.

I know the fronts wont. The bolt pattern is different, narrower. not sure about offset. The Ss uses the same 14 mm bolt, but the mounting hole distance is narrower 5-1/16"ish. That is for the front anyway. Not sure about the rears, ill check tomorrow. I was really hoping they would just bolt up, but nothing I want is ever easy. When you say you had them mocked up but went a different route, why so?

I know the fronts wont. The bolt pattern is different, narrower. not sure about offset. The Ss uses the same 14 mm bolt, but the mounting hole distance is narrower 5-1/16"ish. That is for the front anyway. Not sure about the rears, ill check tomorrow. I was really hoping they would just bolt up, but nothing I want is ever easy. When you say you had them mocked up but went a different route, why so?

I said nothing seemed like a very good route. Not trying to toot my own horn but I'm pretty good at fabricating. I can usually find a way to make just about anything work within reason. I also work with some very talented guys that have all kinds of different skills, machinists, CAD drawings, welders, fabricators, tinkerers, etc. I asked more than a few guys what they thought and everyone pretty much had the same thoughts. That thought being, there was no "good" way to make the Brembos work. There are a couple of different ways that you might be able to mount the caliper. None of which made me comfortable. Everything was too much of a compromise. Material thicknesses would have been thinner than I liked. Distance between mounting points too far. Bracket being to big and adding too much weight. Machining of the spindle would probably be required, which I am very much not in favor. All in all it wasn't something that would econimically feasible either. Yes, a single one off could be done. Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. Would I want to make it. Nope. I like things to be over-built. When I look at something or think about making something and it gives me a weird feeling that something isn't right I stick by that. Rarely has it failed me. Looking at the Brembo mocked up gave me that feeling. Maybe someone that is an engineer could design something and know that facinging the spindle mouting point to half of its factory thickness is ok. Or having only a .250" of aluminum spanning a distance of 8" wouldn't flex too much. But I still would not feel good about it. To me, I like to know that not only is the part/piece that I'm making going to work in normal conditions, but also when sh*t hits the fan, all hell breaks loose, and we are so f*cked all happens at the same time. Maybe is overbuilding, but thts how I like to make stuff.

I said nothing seemed like a very good route. Not trying to toot my own horn but I'm pretty good at fabricating. I can usually find a way to make just about anything work within reason. I also work with some very talented guys that have all kinds of different skills, machinists, CAD drawings, welders, fabricators, tinkerers, etc. I asked more than a few guys what they thought and everyone pretty much had the same thoughts. That thought being, there was no "good" way to make the Brembos work. There are a couple of different ways that you might be able to mount the caliper. None of which made me comfortable. Everything was too much of a compromise. Material thicknesses would have been thinner than I liked. Distance between mounting points too far. Bracket being to big and adding too much weight. Machining of the spindle would probably be required, which I am very much not in favor. All in all it wasn't something that would econimically feasible either. Yes, a single one off could be done. Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it. Would I want to make it. Nope. I like things to be over-built. When I look at something or think about making something and it gives me a weird feeling that something isn't right I stick by that. Rarely has it failed me. Looking at the Brembo mocked up gave me that feeling. Maybe someone that is an engineer could design something and know that facinging the spindle mouting point to half of its factory thickness is ok. Or having only a .250" of aluminum spanning a distance of 8" wouldn't flex too much. But I still would not feel good about it. To me, I like to know that not only is the part/piece that I'm making going to work in normal conditions, but also when sh*t hits the fan, all hell breaks loose, and we are so f*cked all happens at the same time. Maybe is overbuilding, but thts how I like to make stuff.

Looking at it, everything you said seems to be right on, bracket would have to be about 3/8 inch thick and you would have to remove some of the spindle to leave room for the caliber mounting hardware. Suppose it could be made out of steel or a sandwiched bracket could be used for extra strength. But your bracket and z06 caliber seem to be the best option. I have to come to terms with not being able to do what I want. thanks again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...