The Storm

rcapone

Goddamn man!!! That truck is clean! Love the sound of that blower too. How was the test drive? Love it dude. Can't wait to see that speedsturr all done and painted. Love your truck man.

Build looks awesome Randy!!!! I need numbers if you get an AWD dyno setup LOL... Also with the stall and TVS can you break the front tires loose at launch???? One more thing I noticed about your setup that would help out tremendously and only set you back $300-$400... Get a true 90mm LS3 throttle body and x-link... That puny 78mm is way too small for that monster TVS, like drinking a milk shake through a bar straw. The TBSS 87mm or LS3 90mm minimum and you won't regret it, much crisper throttle response... Also watch your IAT's I know the TVS in way more efficient than my old mp112 but if you are constantly over ambiant I would consider Meth for two reasons. 1.) I have first hand experience with data ogs showing a average drop and constantly lower IAT's while spraying under boost... I talking 40-50* with a 2.8" pulley... Plus the IAT's climb at a much lower rate... #2.) The added octane at 50/50 or 75/25 is a awesome barrier for extra knock protection and will allow a few more degrees of timing under boost rpm levels... For every degree of advance is said to be 1-2%HP increase... So on a 500HP motor running 5 degrees advanced which is an example only...you will pick up 10-50HP's which is the reason meth in itself is not a power adder just allowing you to run a higher advance and at the same time the engine is not pulling as much timing in return due to lower IAT's On a 80* day running IAT's of 180* and higher your engine will be pulling timing taking the horspower you already have as much as 50HP's...

(This is an example only so dont bust it up) Think of it this way you build a motor and add up an educated estimate on what each mod gives you... Like a stock motor 345hp plus TVS 130hp plus efans freeing up 5hp, full exhaust with headers 30hp you get 510hp's... Now you loose 50hp's of it due to high 180* IAT's and timming being pulled so your 510hp capable motor is only pushing 460hp... NOW Add Meth IATS go down to 130-150* IAT's you get 3* timing back for cooler IAT's which is 6.9 or 7hp per degree so now we are back up to 481hp... Ok now we are using a heavier meth to water ratio or full 100% meth for extra octane and the ability to add more timing BAM 3,4,5 more degrees... lets say 5* 7X5=35 481+35= 516HP... Yea only 6 more HP's more than what your engine is already capable of but you are able to use all of it instead of only 460HPs So what you're used to feeling at launching or going WOT is 460hp driving around now feels better at WOT pulls but you now can feel the extra 56hp's. Where the misconception comes is METH doesnt gain you much if anything for HP. This is True, you won't see very much added HP using meth as thats not what it does.. On the otherhand, you now have access to all of your engines potential... The hard part of testing this in a controled dyno enviroment is the weather and road load factor... If your running an engine that operates at or around ambiant tempatures then meth wont do much beside the 5-15hps you may get with adjusting a degree of timing or two... But when you get on the road and sucking up all that heat from the road and crusing around at above ambiant IAT's on a hot day you will then see the difference... The key factor in deciding METH is how bad are you IAT's past 6lbs of boost If your reaching anywhere 40 or more degrees past ambiant temps at WOT then METH will do its work for you... But remember METH generally only works on WOT pulls with a boost switch unless you go progressive but I dont think METH is worth that much more coin for what it does to rate a fancy meth controller... but $300 for a basic devils own kit with boost pressure switch, HELL YEA! Any thing more than that I'd save up for nitrous and get the actuall hp increase bang for your buck and 10X better intercooling effects... But $300 plus 1.99 -20winshield washer fluid and 2-3 bottles of heat at 1.99 is hard to beat to get your hp's back.... Not sure if this is for you Randy but run some data logs and check your IAT's I hear the TVS does awesome in the heat efficiency department... END OF RANT LOL

But remember METH generally only works on WOT pulls with a boost switch unless you go progressive but I dont think METH is worth that much more coin for what it does to rate a fancy meth controller...

I completely disagree with this. I have been running pure meth with my turbo setups for quite a few years. There is many different setups that work, but I feel if your going to tune for meth then tune for if through out you higher boost levels.

I won't muck up Randy's thread with this though unless he wants to. Lol.

Thanks for all the kind words guys...that's what makes it all worth it!

AND I just wanted to say thanks to my Brother Ralph for letting me tie up his truck lift for 5 days and his awesome advice and help!

I def. Agree with the throttle body and meth and it will be coming...just gotta take a little breather on my spending! I just got off the phone w/magnuson and got a 3.4" pulley to replace that dinner plate. Should give me around 9psi...I'm so addicted to this - I may need professional help

Breaking the tires loose...Zippy told me to take it easy till he sees the log so I haven't tried that yet. Also, my fans stopped working on the way home so I need to check the grounds...fuses are ok.

James, thanks for the great explanation too! I've do e a tiny bit of research on the meth, so I really appreciate the input.

And I guess that makes us even Brandon since I love your truck too! Love the arrival blue and that color was my first choice when I was SSS shopping last year. I just couldn't pass up the deal I got on mine...especially since it was an original owner truck with under 30k and such awesome condition.

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Oh yeah. Got it working. Problem 1. We figured out the efans needed to be powered right from the battery. What had happened was they pulled too much current from the pos. post inside the power distribution center and that they eventually blew the 30 amp fuse and quit running. These fans are individually fused at 40 amps a piece. There are two, so 80 amps needs to be on tap for these puppies when they kick in on high. They immediately got hooked directly to the battery with an accessory bolt. Problem 2 was an easy fix. The IAT counts were running too high, so we looked at the intercooler pump. It was not running. No coolant circulation due to another power distribution issue. Fixed it. Problem 3. Some minor congestion in the wire routing causing some restriction at the actuator arm on the supercharger body. Problems solved! Full boost! Kick ass power. As he left the shop today with all 4 tires smoking!

Edited by GM_Mastertech01 (see edit history)

Sounds great. You guys did a great job. Nice to have a brother to help out. I have almost the same exact wire harness. Mine has a 40 amp fuse and a 25 or 30 I think. Def has a nice truck and build going.

Thanks Jason, it's actually been pretty fun and enlightening since I now pretty much know how everything goes together, which hoses go to where and so on.

Now that Zippy has her dialed in pretty good and all the issues are fixed, I made a 0 - 101 log file and sent it over to Zippy. 0 - 60 time was 4.859 and 0 - 101 was 12.781 with the 3.8" pulley that came with the blower. Gonna try to make it to the track tomorrow night and get some vids!!

Funny story too on the way home from Firestone - was cruising on the highway in the fast lane doin around 70 and just as I got beside this lady in a Ford SUV, I stomped on it, passed her and signaled into her lane. What caught my eye was her swerving almost into the other lane and she looked like she was screaming at the top of her lungs while she was giving me the finger with both hands!

Went to Heartland Park, Topeka yesterday for test and tune and these are my results. I was hoping for a much better launch with the Maggie but 60' only went from 2.189 to 1.923 ...is this because my converter is stalling around 3700 now?

Oh yeah, temp was around 82 degrees

[/url]">http://June13track.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt30O-Pv-1I&feature=youtube_gdata