Anyone else into smoking???

la122685

I need to ask how does the snake work? And what charcoal do you recommend. I assuming not the charcoal with lighter fluid in it.

That meal looks awesome. We did a pork butt in the crock pot a couple of weekend ago it was awesome! Not as good as the pork butt we smoked for 7 hours a few years ago!

I need to ask how does the snake work? And what charcoal do you recommend. I assuming not the charcoal with lighter fluid in it.

That meal looks awesome. We did a pork butt in the crock pot a couple of weekend ago it was awesome! Not as good as the pork butt we smoked for 7 hours a few years ago!

The biggest advantage to the snake is that there is a limited number of briquettes lit at one time. That makes it much easier to regulate heat than having a large pile of coals all lit at one time.

I light a smaller size Weber chimney about half way with briquettes and light it using starter cubes. (This amounts to about 10 or 12 briquettes). I just dump my half chimney of lit coals on the end of the snake and your good to go.

Compact chimney,

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7447-Compact-Rapidfire-Chimney/dp/B009IH0ICG/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1446304171&sr=1-2&keywords=webber+chimney+starter

Starter cubes,

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7417-FireStarters-Lighter-Cubes/dp/B001AN7RGG/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1446304296&sr=1-1&keywords=webber+starter+cubes

I use a lot of Kingsford blue for my charcoal. It goes on sale really cheap at Lowes home center. (Like $10.00 for a double bag cheap. Lowes is where I get the starter cubes, also). For my long term smokes, say 10 to 15 hours +, I use Stubbs all natural briquettes because they produce less ash build up. I can't tell any real difference between the Kingsford and the Stubbs as far as taste or burning performance other than the ash development.

I would not use or recommend the charcoal with lighter in it, and I quit using lighter fluid 10 years ago. The Weber chimney's, (Both large and small), and one starter cube will get the briquettes in the chimney fully started in 20 to 30 minutes.

I have smoked around 8 or 10 butts. All in one or the other of my smokers. I always figure on them needing at least 2 hours per pound for them to finish.

^^^

Looks good to me!!! Loving the snake idea

The snake is the bomb... Best method for controlling heat in a Weber. Looks great Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryan is right, "The snake is ( . ) ( . ) " :jester: These were good enough to try again sometime.

a3674b81054882081d24f2e3b0cd96fc.jpg

I'd love to fire it up today.. Mother Nature had other ideas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah ... that looks ugly as hell ...

At least you have a high of 77* ... We already hit our high of 52* ... cool night ahead for Trick-or-Treating with the Monster ... :thumbs:

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

Easy thigh's and guacamole for football Sunday.

DSC04372_zps6hj05tiv.jpg

Just some old rub I had and needed to get rid of and SBR BBQ sauce

DSC04373_zpsdxvswqck.jpg

Rub both sides of the thighs and open up a "pocket" with the skin and squirt some BBQ sauce in there

DSC04375_zpssrl4lfmb.jpg

DSC04377_zpsbk3zidxw.jpg

Makin's for a five pear batch of guacamole.

DSC04381_zpsqnjxvkal.jpg

DSC04383_zpsug8criq8.jpg

DSC04384_zps1cdasl6c.jpg

DSC04386_zps26cz9qfx.jpg

Thighs are coming along fine

DSC04392_zpsxtafie65.jpg

Tracking smoker / thighs progress. Bluetooth remote feed thermometer setup.

DSC04390_zpsvzsbago1.jpg

Game and chow time. GF and I put a big dent in the guac by the time the thighs were done.

D@m fine Sunday afternoon

DSC04393_zpsjq3f6axq.jpg