Anyone else into smoking???

la122685

The weather started cooling down here a few weeks ago. Right on time too cause my smoked cheese supply was running low. I like to keep some smoked cheese around for a couple special recipes and just to throw on a cracker for a snack but I need temp's of 60* or lower so the cheese won't melt in the smoker. I use a couple 6 inch perforated tubes and wood pellets for the smoke but they will raise the smoker temperature by 10 to 15 degrees and the cheese will start melting about 85*.

Here's the results of my cheese shopping

DSC04513_zps23xy2hiw.jpg

Pellet tubes in action

DSC02475_zpsxoxu3gcs.jpg

Smoker racks loaded up

DSC04517_zpsjfxq5ado.jpg

And gettin smoky

DSC04519_zpsrmna78aj.jpg

The tubes will smoke for 5 1/2 to 6 hours then the cheese gets bagged up for a 2 week rest in the fridge to let the flavor soak in and mellow some.

DSC04521_zpsdz2r7jsu.jpg

DSC04526_zpsbgdxwnz2.jpg

Roasted Bell pepper / smoked cheese snack spread. This started out as basic Pimento cheese but has become highly "modified"

DSC04607_zpsf8hleld4.jpg

Eat it spread on a Club cracker, or make a grilled cheese sandwich out of it. I can give a recipe run down if anyone is interested.

DSC04617_zps8hq02mrb.jpg

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

Hey guys, I thought I would share what going on at my house today. I have a 14 lb Turkey out smoking on the grill as we speak. We did an overnight Brine with salt and brown sugar and have the Weber 310 gas grill set for 240 degrees. Removed the back bone so it will lay flat.I added Apple wood in a small metal box at one end. The smoke has been rolling a couple for hours now. When it gets to 165 degrees I will wrap it foil and let it rest in a cooler until time to cut.

Wish me luck with the finished product!

post-168-0-93911800-1448734158_thumb.jpg

It is all done and I have it wrapped in a cooler. The plan is to eat at 5:00. The iGrill probe is still in the breast meat and we are holding 166 degrees.

It sure does smell good around here!

Later Guys

CD

The picture of the turkey in your first post looks good to me. Sounds like it's going to turn out great. How about a picture after it came off the grill?

Those iGrill thermometers look like sweet units.

It turned out GREAT !

My sister and brother-in-law ate with us and they went crazy for the Turkey. The iGrill probe took all the guess work out of this cook. I feel it was a bargain at $35 on Amazon.

Wrapping the cooked tray of meat in foil and then in towels, I was able to hold the final temp for 2.5 hours when I ready to cut it up.

Try it you will love it.

CD

post-168-0-30230400-1448768186_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright all you cold weather some bitches get to grilling lol... It's cold and rainy down here but what the hell its Sunday...3f8ff04f5152d6ba84cbb9b0c20c62b7.jpg

Pork tenderloin kabobs with some baked potatoes... Simple Sunday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk