Anyone else into smoking???

la122685

Looks like I figured out what I'm doing this weekend! How do you make the guacamole

I am going to assume that you are not familiar with Avocado's and start with this video on checking the Avocado for ripeness and how to go about opening the sucker up and getting the fruit out. This guy is pretty much right on in his approach to it. My apologies if you know all this. I figured better safe than sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRode1k0cQs

I've been making Guacamole for at least 30 years and for the most part do it by intuition and feel and so I don't have a written down recipe. It's not at all tough to do and you will want to personalize your take on it anyway.

Don't go by the quantities of the ingredients in the pictures. I just wanted to show what all went into the stuff.

I think that the guac is best fresh and so don't usually make much more than is going to be eaten in the day that you make it. If you save guac over night it will turn brown on the surface. That won't hurt the stuff at all. It just looks kind of funky.

If you are making it as a side dish in a full meal for 2 or 3 peep's I would go with 2 or 3 Avocado's.

Here's your list of ingredients;

Avocado's, (Duh), Cilantro, (That's the herb that looks like parsley in the photo's), Green onions, Garlic, Lime juice, tomato's, (I usually buy a small container of grape tomato's), and a bit of salt. (You can also use a touch of Cumin, but go real easy with it) The Cilantro and the Cumin are classic tastes of Mexican food. Once you taste them you will recognize those tastes.

Split the pears in half, remove the seed, and slice the meat up like the guy in the video shows, then take a spoon and scoop the meat out of the skin and dump it into a bowl.

I use a fork to mash the cubed Avocado and I usually leave some of the chunks fair size. (I am not trying to mash it as smooth as mashed potato's, I like it a little coarse).

Once you've got the meat all mashed up add your Garlic. I like garlic and would put at least 2 large cloves in a 3 pear batch of guac. I use a good garlic press and spread the shredded garlic around the Avocado in the bowl to keep from getting "hot spots" of garlic in your guac. (You can add garlic later so I would start conservative). I tone the garlic down a little for the GF but she is beginning to see the light. I would normally use more garlic than what is in the picture in my post.

Once you've got all of your garlic added to the bowl stir it into the avocado meat with a spoon. (You don't want to keep on mashing your avocado so your done with the fork).

Add some salt. Probably won't need more than 1/2 teaspoon for a 2 pear batch. Add a little Lime juice now too. You won't want more than 1/2 teaspoon for a 3 pear batch of guac and I would start with less.

Strip the leaves off of the Cilantro stems and chop your leaves up fairly fine but don't stress over making powder out of it. (The sharper your knife the better for the cilantro). You will figure out how you like it after you've made the guac a few times. (I would start with about a third of a "Bunch" of cilantro for a 3 pear batch of guac. I like cilantro in my guac and use a good bit of it). Throw the Cilantro into the bowl.

Chop up your tomato's and add them on top of the Cilantro. Your going to have to go by "feel" for the number of tomato's but remember that you can add more later if you want. You want good firm tomato's and use a good SHARP knife so that you don't mash them when you chop them up. (You don't want a bunch of mater juice in your guac. You don't want runny gauc, it'll slide right off your tortilla chips).

The green onions are like the garlic, to me. I like them if they are fresh and sweet. Go by how much you like them but chop them up pretty fine. It's a strong flavor and you don't want to be tasting nothing but the onion because the pieces are too big.

Throw your onion on top of the cilantro and tomato and then gently stir it all up till you get a good looking balanced looking bowl of guac.

In general; The less stirring through the whole process the better. (Add as many ingredients as possible before stirring them in, but stir in the garlic by itself. You want that well distributed in the avocado).

Grab ya a good tortilla chip and try the guac out. I think that it is better to go conservative with the strong flavored ingredients to start with. If you decide that you like the guac you will make it again and you can start to personalize it as you go. (My GF and I don't order guac at Mexican restaurants cause we make it more to our liking).

These are my current "go to" tortilla chips and you will be amazed how much they are improved by spreading them on a cookie sheet and roasting them at about 275* for 5 to 7 minutes. The tortillas you use for your guac can make a big diff in the taste of the guac. I would try several brands till you settle on the one you like best. (The amount of salt that I suggested above is based on the saltiness of these Mission tortilla chips. Saltiness varies a fair amount from brand to brand so go easy on the salt you add to your guac).

Best luck Brother. If you have any ?'s just give a shout. If it turns out great, save me a taste. :jester:

DSC04395_zpsvvgy3ppq.jpg

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

Awesome Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Bry. The thighs are so easy, and pretty darn good. The GF and I make guac a couple times a month, at least, and both eat way too much of the stuff when we make it. Oh well; Life is short, right?

Hope your doin' good Brother. Take care. :cheers:

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!! Yeah I'm somewhat familiar but not fully. I will check the video out and try this. What caught my attention was them at you add pears. Sounds good!! Thanks.

I love cooking and what not so little points help out. Thanks for all the info

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!! Yeah I'm somewhat familiar but not fully. I will check the video out and try this. What caught my attention was them at you add pears. Sounds good!! Thanks.

I love cooking and what not so little points help out. Thanks for all the info

Sorry for the confusion. There are no (Northern) pears in it. Down in Stuart Florida we all called avocados "pears" as in Avocado pears.

Looks like it finally quit raining on you. Everything is looking good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What type of peppers have you got wrapped up there? They look like ABT's, (Atomic Buffalo Turds), that I make from time to time.

DSC03881_zpshrxxllyt.jpg

DSC03885_zpsyiwnselo.jpg

I smoked a beef chuck roast with a pan of beans underneath, and a rack of Baby back ribs yesterday.

Ate up some of the ribs and beans. The Chuckie is for a pan of smoked beef enchiladas next weekend.

I will report back later with pic's.

Should have waited till tomorrow morning to check out this thread. Now I'm hungry and it's time to go to bed. :cry:

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving ...

We got us some Smoked Turkey for today ... Yummy .... :thumbs:

I'll pull the bird at 10am or around an internal temp of 160-165*F ... Then wrap it in a few layers of Tin Foil, then wrap it up in an old Towel, and then put into a small Cooler (FTC Method). It will continue to cook up to 170-175*F. It will also be perfect for dinner around 2pm. I put her into the smoker last night at about midnight.

The FTC method will keep the bird piping hot for about 6-8 hours, even after you pull it from your heat. Works great with other foods too - Ribs, chickens porkchops ... etc.

6.jpg

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)