Anyone else into smoking???

la122685

3f5465b5f79b1a5fe41992129d1ef9c4.jpg

Gumbo Sunday!!!! Watching some football and loving this weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all about learning this recipe!!!! ... Love Gumbo!!!!

All I can remember about making it is that a good Rue should take two beers to develop!!!! (that should be 3-4 beers at my pace ... Lol)

Roux is the hardest thing to do... If you burn it you won't know till after its cooked for a while... Then your gumbo is bitter as hell... I've ruined a seafood gumbo before... Not good lol...

Roux is the hardest thing to do... If you burn it you won't know till after its cooked for a while... Then your gumbo is bitter as hell... I've ruined a seafood gumbo before... Not good lol...

Sounds expensive. Low and slow on the roux then huh?

Cajun Gumbo:

(Ingredients Roux)

1) 1-1/2 Cups all purpose flour

2) 1 Cup Corn or Vegetable Oil

3) 1 medium Onion Chopped course

I like to make my Roux in a cast iron skillet but a regular will be pan will be fine. Medium to Low Heat for your first few times till you get the science down at anytime you start smoking bad remove from heat and keep stirring.. Its easier to throw away the flour and oil than have a bitter gumbo...Add oil to hot pan and slowly stir in flour, then continue to stir your ass off...Be patient with the color as you cook it will slowly darken up on a medium low heat it might take 15-20 minutes and mind you again keep stirring the whole time. The more you get comfortable with the process and turning up the heat it should take roughly 11-15 minutes to get a chocolate colored Roux.. The darker the color the stronger the Roux will be. When the Roux turns a nice Peanut Butter Color i like to add the onion and continue to stir till i get a nice brown color.. Remember after you reach this point and turn off the fire you will still have residual heat so keep stirring another 4 to 5 minutes to avoid burning the Roux.. Notice the main theme....DONT BURN THE ROUX LOL... After this step set to the side and allow to cool...

Meat and Veggies:

1) Large Hen..I usually pick up one of the pre cooked rotisserie chickens from the deli...Super easy to de-bone and set meat aside...

2) 1# of your favorite sausage doesn't matter..

3) 1 Bunch of Celery

4) 1 Bunch of Green Onions

5) 2 Bell Peppers

6) 1 Bunch of Parsley

7) 1 more medium onion

Start with large Stock Pot with Roux and 1 gallon or so of water..More or less depending on how thick you want your gumbo...I like to let this go on a low medium heat until boiling and turn down to a simmer for around an hour or so.. In the mean time saute your Celery, Bell Peppers and Onion. I usually do all my seasoning while i saute the vegetables...Salt, Pepper any Cajun Seasonings you may have.. Hell Ole Bay for you guys up north lol. Now its time to add all the veggies and let cook for another hour or so...Know your at the three hour mark. Time to add the meat and cover and let cook for another hour or so.. Remember Gumbo is like Pot Luck in the Coonass Culture meaning anything you have throw it in...Its really what you like as far as meat and the other veggies go. This is just what i put in mine.. Cook you some rice and make a big batch of potato salad. In a big bowl add Rice and put a big helping of Tater Salad in the middle cover with Gumbo and enjoy...

A brother came for a visit, last week, so I figured I would try a smoke that I had read about a few times. Anyone familiar with "Burnt ends" from a beef brisket knows that they are "THE BOMB". I had read about guys making faux burnt ends from pork and I got interested in trying it. Brother Dave's visit was the perfect reason to give it a try.

A good looking pack of CSR's

DSC04328_zpsv3zhah0m.jpg

DSC04330_zps9ejukpfu.jpg

A "snake" in the Weber kettle

DSC04327_zpscbf4pdik.jpg

Rubbed up and Into the smoke

DSC04331_zps6ouzqx2a.jpg

165* IT

DSC04332_zpszdur6vrq.jpg

Cube them up and put them in a pan with rub and BBQ sauce

DSC04333_zpsazkkpabm.jpg

Back on the smoker for a couple more hours

DSC04337_zpsy7xudhna.jpg

Chow time. We dipped them in a little BBQ sauce. They were pretty good. Brother loved them. I thought that I should have taken them off the grill a little sooner. Not as good as brisket burnt ends but these take less time, are cheaper, and good enough to try again.

DSC04340_zpsxycpo0l4.jpg

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)