Heads/cam 5.3l Swap Into The S-10

sprayed99

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK pics of progress over the week -

S-10 back at home in the garage; with the cowl hood it reminds me of the Joe Gibbs Silverado Dan sold to buy this truck. This hood *almost* closes, to do so we would have to take a 2" hole saw and buzz a hole in the inner substructure to make clearance for the EVAP solenoid on the intake manifold. SO close... :sigh:

_DSC0530.jpg

Accessory drive and electric fan fit-up - just the right amount of room. Oh yeah, the "reverse direct mounted air filter", that's on purpose - we read on LS1Tech it was good for 7-hp. :jester: And atop the motor - Dan's father (Jerry) corrected us, that's not Vaseline, it's "trans lube" :lol:

_DSC0514.jpg

Power Steering Pulley - you don't want to even know what the running clearance is on this pulley. No I'm serious, you don't want to know. Neither of us were brave enough to actally measure it! The pulley was sourced for us by a best friend who manages the parts department at a local GM dealership, he literally walked bin-to-bin sizing up pulleys and brought us the smallest one that would still fit on the pump shaft; and then we had to grind it to get the backspacing needed to keep the belt in line as well as grind the upper-left bolt head on the steering box cover. She'll hold up on those 7500-RPM blasts :uhoh:

_DSC0516.jpg

Fit-up of CAI plumbing and upper radiator hose - it was necessary to turn the outlet neck on the water pump so it would not interfere with the CAI tubing, Dan decided that the best packaging was to run the radiator hose over the CAI tubing.

_DSC0517.jpg

Fuel delivery - the factory fuel filter was repaced with this WIX unit from a late-model Corvette - it is a disposable self-contained filter and fuel pressure regulator in one.

_DSC0520.jpg

Dan's head burined in the wheel-well bolting-in the terminal block for the battery relocation.

_DSC0526.jpg

Guess what this is? Or rather, was? A $12 battery shut-off switch from Tractor Supply - Dan discovered it conveniently splits in half, he removed the guts of the switch, filled it with silicone and bolted it to the fender. Instant remote terminal block, rated at 300-amps, convenient, cheap. :cool:

_DSC0529.jpg

Final CAI/MAF/radiator hose/trans cooler line assembly.

_DSC0531.jpg

Starting to look like a production engine compartment in there. :chevrolet:

_DSC0534.jpg

Lessee about all this spaghetti under the fusebox :confused: The crystal ball says we're gonna be tracing a few wires for sure...

_DSC0540.jpg

The business-end of the battery relocation - stock battery tray modified and mounted to the bed, 2-gauge wire was brought-up through the bed and run forward to the new remote terminal block underhood. Dan's mom suggested he use PCV breather grommets to protect the battery cable coming through the bed floor - now that's what mom's are for, Mom really DID know what was best! :laugh:

_DSC0542.jpg

Several folks are curious about ground clearance, and the answer is - it's surprisingly respectable. The oil pan and exhaust crossover each hang down 1" below the factory frame crossmember.

_DSC0548.jpg

That's right bishes, just when you thought it wasn't possible to cram any more underhood we're runnin' the three-piece LQ9 covers! Trimming was required in the back, around the upper radiator hose, and a touch off the driver's side for the brake proportioning valve. We are imagining them body-colored (pewter). :smoker: Warning, using your air saw after midnight will reveal how non-hardcore your neighbors are. Again. :rolleyes:

_DSC0551.jpg

Good thing the S-10's already got a cowl hood to hide this massive bulge. No camera tricks here, it is that proud. :pepsicheer:

_DSC0556.jpg

To do list has gotten a lot shorter - the A/C lines need to be made/installed tomorrow, more clearance made between the pitman arm and A/C compressor pulley, buy a "right-sized" K&N filter element, procure throttle cable bracket, fit-up Y-Pipe to catback, continue wiring.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

looks awesome...iv been checking on the updates every so often wishing i could have come over to help but with working all the time iv been beaten down...

i bet the pictures dont do it justice...i expected nothing less from a bunch of detail minded guys...

are you gonna cut the hood or look for another one to put on it?

Well how does it run?

IT RUNS GREAT!

Click the pic to view video of first turn of the key - the 5.3 lights-off PERFECT from the START! The cat-back is not done, the motor is exhausting right out of the Y-Pipe :cheers:

DSC_0185.jpg

Well here was this afternoon's job - mating dozens of wires of a 5.3L V8 harness to the original S10 fusebox, body harness, and dash harness.

_DSC0613.jpg

Documentation is critical - Be Prepared - its' the Boy Scout motto. And yes I can say that, I'm an Eagle Scout.

_DSC0614.jpg

We have the technology - we can make it better... faster... stronger... :D

_DSC0615.jpg

Me pouring over schematics of the 5.3 and S10 - Dan is not in the pic here but trust me we were side-by-side keeping track of everything as a 2-man team, there's a lot of stuff you have to get straight here:

_DSC0616.jpg

Ashley (Dan's fiance) snuck-off with my camera to get pics of their Great Danes (Onyx and Raven) - they picked-up on the excitement and had the zoomies today :driving:

_DSC0629.jpg

_DSC0673.jpg

Finished, just before the key was first turned.

_DSC0686.jpg

Pic of the original S10 underhood electrical center (fusebox) and newly relocated PCM - future plans call for a PCM cover, it will be required in fact to deflect the direct blast of radiator heat coming from the efans.

_DSC0687.jpg

Click the pic to view video of the engine all warmed-up, we were trying to get the motor to burp the air out of the cooling system; again exhaust dumped straight out of collectors so it's a little rowdy... you can hear the efans kick in over the noise of the exhaust :happy: The fans are wired to come on low-speed when the A/C is on, and high-speed when the engine reaches 185.

DSC_0190.jpg

All instrumentation works great, including the tach. Only issue that we are having is a random "PCM not found" error with HPT that as soon as we unplug/replug the USB cable HPT sees the PCM again and we can reflash. :confused:

There have been a couple of questions about project time and man-hours - the swap phase of the LSX-S10 project began Friday 5/8/2009 at 5pm, and to date total running project time is 61.5 hours, total man-hours documented during this phase is 151.0 - this does not include time preparing the 5.3, preparing the 4L60, project research, shopping, or documenting the build - all of which has consumed probably (wild-assed guess) another 75+ man-hours.

Basically, we've had a couple people on other forums wave the BS flag at us - to which we answer YES we've gone from wimpy one-wheel brake-stands in the 4.3 to frying rubber with the 5.3 in 10-days - and 4 of those 10 days were part-time after work. If we had not elected to take Friday and Saturday off (the 15th and 16th it was unavoidable, friends had a wedding) the truck would have been done already. ["EAD" - Dan]

Remaining To Do list -

* clearance the pitman arm

* verify transmission output shaft/front driveline phasing

* fab exhaust to catback

* clearance/fit hood

Tomorrow we tie-up the loose odds and ends and look forward to driving the S10. Hard.

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)