Heads/cam 5.3l Swap Into The S-10

sprayed99

Very nice man. Takes a lot of talent to pull something like this off in your garage. Kudos to both of you. Now lets see some action video of that thing burning some tires off. :cheers:

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice man. Takes a lot of talent to pull something like this off in your garage. Kudos to both of you. Now lets see some action video of that thing burning some tires off. :cheers:

trying to tie up a few loose ends with the A/C and exhaust then she will be on the road.

...DOOD--those fans sound like the tornado sirens going off!

:confused: You've never heard our fans before? That was full-speed, they are quieter on low-speed. But you gave me an idea for a product name :D:cheers: To give you an idea how much air they pull, when the fans are on you can put your hand 2-3 inches in front of the GRILLE (not radiator, but grille!) and still feel the air being pulled through your fingers - that's a strong draw about 8-inches ahead of the radiator. I already knew the fans would pull a ton of wind from our experience with the Silverado kits, but I'm really impressed with the performance of these fans. We will most certainly flesh this out as another product offering, there is nothing like it available on the S10 market -and- now that I am thinking about it out loud this can be used as the basis of a product for the Silverado/Sierra guys still wanting to use the 28" (narrow) radiator. These stomp the hell out of the LS1 fans, there's no way the LS1 fans come close to pulling this much air at full blow. We also had to make a different efan control strategy and use the A/C system to trigger the low speed fan, it's different than anyone else's approach that I've seen or heard of, anyways we will be able to have an efan control box that works on the pre-'02 trucks and other vehicles where you only have one coolant temp trigger wire, hell this would even work on a non-PCM equipped vehicle by using a temperature-based grounding switch which are cheap like $6. Now to make all this wonderful stuff LOL.

Awesome project guys! ...
Seriously Kev too bad you weren't here man, you would have DUG it.

That thing is AWSOME. Maybe the quickest s-10? :jester:

No not the quickest - yet. Dan has made no secret it will get the nitrous - he's not sprayed99 for nothing LOL. The truck is actually Ashley's daily driver to and from college; as soon as the truck proves itself road-worthy it will get enough "assistance" to run mid-11s but then the question is will Dan want to make a drag truck out of it or not - to do so Ashley will need another car to drive LOL and then look out because there's no sense going 'kinda-fast', it would become a LSX-based door slammer for sure. Too soon to tell the future of this little truck but all Dan will say is that all cards remain on the table and yes we're dreaming big. :P I've told Dan it would be just awesome to take it on Power Tour, little truck that weighs 3100-lbs with a LS7 and a 2-stage kit that still has full interior and A/C that runs low-8s :drool:

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

No not the quickest - yet. Dan has made no secret it will get the nitrous - he's not sprayed99 for nothing LOL. The truck is actually Ashley's daily driver to and from college; as soon as the truck proves itself road-worthy it will get enough "assistance" to run mid-11s but then the question is will Dan want to make a drag truck out of it or not - to do so Ashley will need another car to drive LOL and then look out because there's no sense going 'kinda-fast', it would become a LSX-based door slammer for sure. Too soon to tell the future of this little truck but all Dan will say is that all cards remain on the table and yes we're dreaming big. :P I've told Dan it would be just awesome to take it on Power Tour, little truck that weighs 3100-lbs with a LS7 and a 2-stage kit that still has full interior and A/C that runs low-8s :drool:

You all are CRAZY!!! And I like it!!! hahaha :cheers:

Ok wheres the update. I am used to seeing new pics from Mr. P every day! Lol

:rolleyes: Sorry didn't mean to leave you hangin' :jester:'

Dan took the truck out for it's first drive last night - not much video but got a few seconds of it coming out of the garage. The truck is crippled with a stock 3.42 gearset and factory converter - putting in a set of 3.73's and a 2800-3000 RPM converter will make the thing a whole lotta fun :driving: Tuning will continue tonight, along with a couple other gremlins. We're just about done.

Video of first drive:First%20Drive.jpg

We'll work to get better vids as the truck is tuned and in final shape.

hey danny, i think justin wants you to do a swap for his s10 hes buying for his wife :jester:

LOL have fun....its a PITA LOL. the tune in mine is about 90% done....hopefully have it done tonight. trying to find a new rear carrier now...

LOL have fun....its a PITA LOL. the tune in mine is about 90% done....hopefully have it done tonight. trying to find a new rear carrier now...

:rolleyes: It's not that bad. Adapting the wiring is a headache (that was expected). Learning all about how A/C and climate control works and how to adapt the new A/C mid-project was a PITA. Learning after-the-fact what PCM OS we should have used is a mistake that hurt. Now the exhaust, that has been beyond biotch in this project IMO. The rest of it was just 'challenges'. But Dan is right don't just think that you're going to slap something like this together unless you've already done one before; hindsight is 20/20, if we knew then what we know now we would have not wasted three nights effort in 'teething problems' after the fact. But I would recommend the swap, when you get it all ironed out it's awesome, these little trucks were made for it. :driving: I really believe that the S10 is like the 21st-century T-bucket Ford in that if you know what you are doing the S10 is prime hotrod material, a cheap and really bitchin way to go scary fast and are going to keep the hot rod tradition alive, I bet that in 50-years there will be a lot of S10-based street rods; except they won't be running 12's, they'll be in the 9's :lol:.

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)