Sinr98 Build Part 1

Cramer

Well I thought it was time to add some more power to the truck. I got in a group buy for a Trick Performance front mount kit back in Feb. I originally got the non-intercooled kit but bought a intercooler for it. After one thing lead to another and me being the anal person I am about doing things right and one time it snowballed. This is going on my 04 with the mods in my sig. Some things will be taken off, and many other things will go on it.

I do want to start out by saying thank you to those who gave me their knowledge and advice on the start to this build. It is very appreciated and I am open to suggestions and questions on my build.

Part 1 of the build is a low boost setup so I can conserve my trans and wait till I get my other motor done (Part 2 and Part 3).

Here are the plans and parts for the build and upgrades to everything I might need:

Turbo and stuff

Trick Performance log style manifold turbo kit with a MP T-70 .96ar mandrel bent tubing with 3" dp.

Wastegate has been moved to the log manifold just before the turbo.

38mm gate and 44mm BOV.

All hot parts wrapped with titanium header wrap, and I made a custom stainless steel heat shield that doubles as a blanket. (silica insulation on the inside of the shield) Might have the exh housing ceramic coated this week too.

Intercooler is a 32x12x3" a/a with 3" tubing all the way. ( still have to route the tubing)

Downpipe to turbo and back to the 3" in/out Borla with v-bands to a custom made by me exhaust tip running out before the rear tire.

Custom made oil cooler lines that double as a oil feed line to the turbo.

Fuel cell bulkhead fitting for oil return line to the pan.

Percy's split lock header bolts

All stainless steel fastening hardware for turbo.

Protection

As stated above, all hot parts wrapped with titanium header wrap.

Coolant lines re routed to keep clear of heat, and wrapped with high temp hose tape.

All plug wires have protective boots on them.

Custom made heat shield blanket for turbo.

Custom made coolant tank cover by me.

Custom made catch can, and PCV upgrades.

Hayden 30k trans cooler.

Fuel system

First off, I am converting to a return style system so much of this is not needed for the 03 and earlier trucks. 90% of this is not needed for my current setup, but will be needed in the future so i'm doing it now.

Aeromotive Stealth 340 intank pump.

Stock feed line to feed line adapter running to a Summit 40micron filter with a gauge port adapter for my fuel pressure sending unit.

From there it goes to -8an Aeroquip Socketless hose and fittings all the way to the Aeromotive A1000 boost ref fpr.

The feed is to be y'd off and ran to the front of the LS2 style fuel rails and out the back going to the FPR.

From the fpr return is -6an Aeroquip Socketless hose and fittings dumping into a fuel cell bulkhead fitting on the top of the tank (Thanks Danny and Brian)

The intank wiring and fuel pump hotwire harness is from Racetronix.

Injectors are LS1 style Seimens 60# at 43.5psi injectors flowmatched.

Injector pigtail adapters.

There are a ton of little things about this fuel system that I will get into more when I do everything.

Tuning

I am going to try my hand at tuning this in with the help of some friends and members on here and a few other forums. (WISH ME LUCK)

I am upgrading to COS3 operating system with EFI Live and run a 2bar map to run a speed density tune.

Innovate LC-1 wideband.

WBO2 sensor moved to 12" from the turbo on the down pipe.

Gauges

Digital fuel pressure

Autometer Phantom Boost

Innovate LC-1

Autometer 3 gauge pillar pod

Turbo oil pressure warning light

This is an overview of most of the things I can think of on the build. I am sure I missed alot of things as they add up and get forgotten about till that time comes. I'm not going to list all the fluids and hardware that has been purchased for this, but those little things add up quick.

Here are some pics taken during the pre-assembly and gathering of stuff.

Enjoy and stay tuned!

th_IMAG0133.jpg

th_IMAG0124.jpg

th_IMAG0123-1.jpg

th_IMAG0107-1.jpg

th_IMAG0106-1.jpg

th_IMAG0103-1.jpg

th_IMAG0122.jpg

th_IMAG0095-1.jpg

th_IMAG0090.jpg

th_IMAG0052.jpg

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the originality of the stuff you have done like I told you on the phone, going to be a cool build!

Thanks Jon. Everyone that knows me knows that I can't keep anything stock. I always look for a way to modify or make something that will be the way I want it.

I have some other stuff in the works that will be goin on for some engine dress up soon too. I have a few loose ends to tie up on some things and i'll be into part 2 and 3 soon too.

Finished my stainless exhaust tip tonight.

I added the stainless point and rod in the center of the tip to reduce the drone coming out of the tip by using it as a brace for the open section. Plus it looks mean. IMO

The tip will exit in front of the pass tire sticking out a little in the front part.

th_IMAG0182.jpg

th_IMAG0181.jpg

th_IMAG0180.jpg

th_IMAG0179.jpg

If I remember correct the opening is 5 1/2"x3 1/4" body is 7" long and a 3"id inlet. Overall it's 11 inches.

The bad thing is that my slip roll decided to take a dump on me when I was about 75% done rolling the body of it. It rolled it on an angle for the last couple passes and it made it be about 1/8" out of shape.

I might do another one when I fix the slip roll.

I got the intercooler mounted. I had to remove the hod latch support cross brace, and made a new one that mounts the sensor closer to the condenser. This allowed me to have enough room to mount the intercooler where I wanted too. I still have to do some cutting for the piping, but that will be a later date. I fabbed up the brackets, and they are strong as hell. Let me know what you think of it.

th_IMAG0196.jpg

th_IMAG0195.jpg

th_IMAG0194.jpg

th_IMAG0193.jpg

th_IMAG0191.jpg

th_IMAG0186.jpg