Sinr98 Build Part 1

Cramer

Another update on the build.

And a few thanks. Danny, Steve, Kevin, Jon, and Reynaldo. The 5 of you are helping a ton and I truly appreciate it.

Here are some pics of the Catch can setup I am using. Fabbed up a bracket - cover for the catchcan to mount, and cover the body of the vac. I killed 2 birds with one stone on this, and it is made out of stainless so it's strong too.

Setve, one of the pics has tape on it where the check valve will be. :thumbsup:

th_IMAG0208.jpg

th_IMAG0207.jpg

th_IMAG0206.jpg

th_IMAG0205.jpg

th_IMAG0202.jpg

Edited by sinr98 (see edit history)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow very well thought-out; I am sure it will be a runner! :driving:

Go ahead and have the turbine housing coated now - it makes a huge difference in underhood heat, you're going to want to do that eventually so I would just have that done now.

I like all the thought you have put into heat management.

Remember to mount a TruCool Max trans cooler in front of your intercooler.

LOVE the exhaust tip. And LOVE the mount for the catchcan. Both = badass.

If you have the skills (alum TIG fab) then you might consider welding some of the sections of charge tubing together, to minimize the number of blue silicone sleeves and band clamps used (less points of failure). But that's optional.

Love the catch can, what brand/model is that?

On the tune - remember to tune for E10 (stoich = 14.17:1).

Mr. P. :)

Edited by Mr. P. (see edit history)

Thanks for the praise.

Yes I will be welding the charge pipes. I will only have 4 connections. Turbo, IC in/out, and TB.

I mounted my trans cooler between the IC and condenser. I took the cross brace out and flipped the sensor that was mounted on it to the inside of the hood support. One of the pics shows it. It was 95 here for 2 days last week and I was in traffic for 20 min and a 30min drive before that and the temp stayed at 185* with no AC on, and fans running when coolant temp called for it. Then the next day I did the same thing with temps, but had the AC on and that kept the temp on the trans at 172* (Temps were off of EFI Live logging. My needle is off a little on the gauge)

I was at the coaters the other day and forgot to ask about my turbine housing getting done. I will call him today and get that rolling. He has a bad turn around time though.

Brand and model of catchcan IDK. Off flebay, but it is all billet and is a very nice piece IMHO. The hardware that came with it was chincy but that is not used on this. BTW it's a heavy SOB and that is why I used stainless for the bracket.

• 1 month later...

Another update on the build:

I will be putting this off till fall or winter as i'm going to be doing everything at once. This will include a forged 408ci, 4L80e, turbo, fuel system, repaint the frame, some engine bling, and some custom suspension work in the rear.

I will be doing a hydroboost conversion on the truck tonight or tomm, and i'm supposed to be picking up a new hood today. I will post up pics of the hydroboost swap and my new hood before it gets a custom paint job done to it.

Stay tuned!!!!

Well I didn't get as much done on the truck as I wanted to this week. I ended up getting sick from a lack of sleep. In the last 30days I have worked 322hrs total. That means I have only had 4 days off and two of the days were from being sick.

I picked up my new hood on sunday from a former member on here who sold his SSS to get a TBSS. The guy was awesome and gave me a hell of a deal on the hood. I didn't have time to get the hydroboost started, but I did do an oil change and coolant flush and topped it off with Royal Purple's Purple Ice. While I had the coolant out of the system I decided to extend the coolant lines out of the way where the turbo will be. Here are some pics of the hood.

post-17939-000116000 1311744735_thumb.jpg

wow thats some nice work, cant wait to see it finished peelout.gif

Lol...why can't I stop looking at that sick pic of your truck on your sig lol. Its just perfect might just loose the big 26"s and get a set of 22" replicas haha nice build I c u still working on it. Deff one of my fav clones!

That hood is sweet, looks awesome. You might have the cleanest Arrival Blue SS Ive ever seen. Paint is gleaming in your pictures :chevrolet:

Thanks for the compliment. But by no way is it the cleanest Arrival Blue SS. It has some scratches from the previous owner on the pass side. Hopefully this winter or next spring I will repaint it, and fix the little things that have been bugging me.

I will be doing the Hydroboost conversion tonight, and some tuning this week on it. I want to get some practice on tuning for when I get the build done, Reynaldo and I will have an easier time getting it dialed in.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my Hydroboost swap done. :dbanana:

I honestly can't believe how effortless it is to stop now. If a fly were to land on the pedal i'd be slowing down, and other than getting used to the fact that I don't have to try and stop it is the best upgrade I have done so far.... SO FAR!!!

I had to do some rearranging of some brackets, and i'll have to make a new res cover since my old one I made was cut out to go around the vac cannister and clear the vac booster. For the price I did this swap, Best money I have spent period.

I will post up some pics of it when I clean the engine up a little.

wow nice build. i dont see how this one passed me by. lots of nice parts. great job on fabbing everything. your fab work is great. its going to be a runner. as for the hydroboost. is there a write up about it on here? its something i really need to do before i up the boost.

I got my Hydroboost swap done. :dbanana:

I honestly can't believe how effortless it is to stop now. If a fly were to land on the pedal i'd be slowing down, and other than getting used to the fact that I don't have to try and stop it is the best upgrade I have done so far.... SO FAR!!!

I had to do some rearranging of some brackets, and i'll have to make a new res cover since my old one I made was cut out to go around the vac cannister and clear the vac booster. For the price I did this swap, Best money I have spent period.

I will post up some pics of it when I clean the engine up a little.

write up / how 2 or it didn't happen ... biggrinjester.gif

As much as I wanted to do a full write up on this with pics and all I dropped the ball when I forgot my camera at home.... Along with my PS pulley installer bolt :banghead: .

I will post up some pics of the outcome tomm.

If it wouldn't have been for two of my buddies stopping by only to shoot the shit and not help, and the forgotten pulley install bolt (tried to use allthread with no luck 6x's) and having to wake my buddy up at midnight to get me and take me pack to my house to get the bolt. I would have been done in 4.5hrs. That includes swapping out the PS Pump, and the whole bracket that mounts that and the alt to the motor. There is alot more room in the engine bay on that side now. Actually enough room for twins.......

For those of you (Jon) who don't believe me on the Hydroboost swap, here are some pics.

The engine is dirty, and the catch can, vac manifold, and FPR are just mocked up for when the rest of the build happens.

You can also see that I relocated my PCM about 4.5" back from the original location. I do have a cover made up for it, but need to figure out a way to mount it...........

Sorry about the crappy pics. The sun was shining right on the resivoir cover, and gave me a nasty glare in some of the pics.

IMAG0283.jpg

My son gave me the thumbs up on the project.

IMAG0282.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0279.jpg

IMAG0278.jpg