MID12sSSS TVS2300 370 build

MID12sSSS

What shop are you going to start working at? GM, Ford?

I work for Ford. Its the only schooling they offer in my town and it pays more than GM. :( I sure would love to work for GM though! If i leave the state, thats what ill pursue.

Ive never had to alter the spring height in the past. I run the recommended springs for the cam. I havent received my cam or cam card yet, but recommended spring height should be on it. Ill check spring height when i get those specs. Should i anticipate having to add shims or machine the spring seat??? :confused: Thanks for chiming in and making sure i dont miss an important step..

Every set of BTR springs I have used have required setting the key height. You need to measure open pressure and closed pressure. I would call BTR and ask them for the numbers that they suggest for your application.

Every set of BTR springs I have used have required setting the key height. You need to measure open pressure and closed pressure. I would call BTR and ask them for the numbers that they suggest for your application.

Thanks for your help. I pursued this a little bit while waiting for your reply. My buddy justin had talked to Brian on the phone and Brian said the same thing. To be sure to check the heights of each spring. Ill research more on how to properly perform this procedure. Appreciate the tip!

New parts in but not much progress. Leave for arctic man on Wednesday and won't be back until Sunday. Should see some good progress for the following 2-3 weekends. There's still snow and ice on the roads up here so I still have plenty of time. Just anxious to here this thing idle!

image_zps98fce446.jpg

image_zps3ed01d15.jpg

Did you actually measure each spring and correct key height?

Well, talked with Brian a bit about this. He said if my heads are brand new out of the box, I shouldn't have to adjust spring height. However, if you're running big boost and want to reassure yourself, measure them all at 1.750". They should all be very close as it is, but may require shimming. Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Yes that is only half the equation. That assumes that the springs are 100% identical in spring rate for open and closed pressure. Brians springs have always been really close. I would check to be safe. Im also telling you this so you know for future use.

As far as factory out of the box heads always being perfect, I have to disagree strongly with this. My first set of new factory castings were off by enough to warrant adjusting key height. The last 2 sets had to be milled as they were used and shims were a must to set the springs up correctly.

Yes that is only half the equation. That assumes that the springs are 100% identical in spring rate for open and closed pressure. Brians springs have always been really close. I would check to be safe. Im also telling you this so you know for future use.

As far as factory out of the box heads always being perfect, I have to disagree strongly with this. My first set of new factory castings were off by enough to warrant adjusting key height. The last 2 sets had to be milled as they were used and shims were a must to set the springs up correctly.

Good to know! :thumbs: Thanks. It's always a good idea to check spring height anyway. But I wasn't sure how Michael adjustment they'd really need. But I'll find out!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay guys. Things have been crazy lately, career change, fracturing my wrist, moving into a new place... Lots going on and no time to work on the truck. But my 4L80 is being built this week and my T case is getting rebuilt with my new input shaft. I pulled the motor and its on a stand. Going to build it this following week and get it painted. Then the only missing link is to build my fuel lines and hang my new bucket/pumps. Should go together fairly quickly once I have time to do it. I have all the parts I need minus my converter... But I'll keep you updated. It'll be sooner than later. The weather is gorgeous here and I'm getting anxious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally moved into my new place. Haven't completely unpacked yet but I'm getting there. Having the SS towed over to the new place this week so I can start making some progress at home. I never get any shop time anymore at work so it's been a long while since I've been able to work on the truck. Back ordered parts from Left Coast 32 showed up and I'm just now starting to pick at the build a little again. I was hoping to be driving it by now but life gets in the way sometimes. Anyway, I'll try to keep this thread as up to date as possible. Haven't been on it awhile. But here's a few pics of the long block I took a while ago. image_zps3ec295c9.jpg

image_zps59d6bf7f.jpg

image_zpsb78cc5ab.jpg

image_zps067f97c3.jpg

The rest of the hybrid drive 8rib kit, brackets, pulleys, spacers, coolant inlet mod etc.

Here's a close up of Joe's RIP pulley. You can see the grooves cut across the 8 ribs for extra grip. image_zps033baf50.jpgimage_zps1e80b220.jpg

image_zps707358a8.jpg