The Storm

rcapone

lol, I remember...I went to bed with a smile, woke up with one and still have one!! :D I honestly didn't think it would do that with the tall / wide tires I have. The tune he gave me just before this one, tires broke loose just a little - maybe 10' or so. Then I upload the tune that's in it now and it really took me by surprise when I got sideways...I stayed in it too and recovered beautifully with the AWD. Now I'm concerned about controlling the spin at the track :huh:

That sounds amazing Randy... I'm jealous now lol... I had my SSS out this weekend and all I get is the 10' or so front tires spinning and kicking the front sideways just a little and back to right before full grip lol... Now I really need to work on my Nitrous install so if we ever meet I wont be embarrassed lmao...

It really was man! The instant torque and power was reeeealy awesome, lol. I can't wait to get that baby back and make some gopro's for you guys. I'm hoping he'll be able to finish it up this weekend so I can make it to the track the 17th :fingersx:

Yours is no joke just the way it sits James, although a nitrous system would be a nice compliment - I remember that vid you posted last year...freekin awesome!

Man haven't been on here for a bit, just read about your transmission situation. That f'n sucks, I'm in the same boat with the shitty builder that had my truck and promised it would hold up, and if he didn't flush the lines that was on him. I always thought FLT made a great product, but guess there's always that chance but to have 2 bad units and then not respond.

Man it's a good thing you can afford to have another trans built while having so much put in to another one, I'd be sitting duck lol. Sounds like everything is moving in the right direction, and hopefully the new trans works out or else it's time for a rossler.

Chuck never responded because he doesn't even know how to properly fill his own transmissions and directly told me to only fill to the factory marked fill line. This is the reason both of his transmissions failed - factory fluid level on a high performance truck that launces much harder than stock and thus sucks air during hardest acceleration, the 1 - 2 shift. Of course I found all this out on my own after both transmissions failed. A high performance trans (at least the 80e anyway) and high performance vehicle must be filled to "high performance" specs; drop the pan, install the dipstick, transfer a mark onto the dipstick that is 1/4" higher than the pan to trans mating surface. Note the mark I made on the improper dipstick Chuck told me to use and fill only to the factory line. The line I marked corresponds exactly with the factory marked line on the Correct, shorter dipstick...

20150328_175641.jpg

Here are the intermediates that came out of the SECOND, pre 1997 80e he built for me. The hot spots on the steels are from second gear slipping due to the above situation

Cooked%20FLT%20clutches.jpg

The first trans he built for me took longer to cook second gear because when I originally did the 80e swap, my truck only had a few bolt ons, ie, headers, CAI, exhaust, stall and Zippy tune. After the swap I immediately complained about the extremely soft 1 - 2 shift but Chuck told me that was just the way the 80e shifted. A few months later I add on the TVS 2300 and the 1 - 2 shift gets even softer, few months after that I install the cam, smaller pulley, ID 1000's, etc. and almost immediately completely cooked 2nd gear.

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

I think you should just stop putting money into your truck since you keep having bad karma with it... and give me your TVS :jester:

Or you can give me all the parts

haha, I may just do that if I run faster than 11.49 and they boot me off without letting me get another run or two in. I'm not sure if there's some sort of national rule, but this particular track's website says, if you run 11.49 or faster, you have to have a roll bar. That would really suck to haul my truck 2+ hours only to get one run in. Not to mention the fact that my track days would probably be over since there's no other track within a reasonable driving distance that I'm aware of...I'm sure if I tried to come back at a later date, someone would recognize my truck due to the obnoxious license plate and blue fire paint.

Randy you can also run 1/8 mile and let out at 100 MPH or so. Coast from there on, or hit the brakes lightly to make sure you run slower than 11.49. Get your 1/8 mile time dialed in and then give it one run for all the money once you feel comfortable it will run what you want and the launch is hard as hell.

That's what I am going to have to do going forward too.

Randy you can also run 1/8 mile and let out at 100 MPH or so. Coast from there on, or hit the brakes lightly to make sure you run slower than 11.49. Get your 1/8 mile time dialed in and then give it one run for all the money once you feel comfortable it will run what you want and the launch is hard as hell.

That's what I am going to have to do going forward too.

Yeah, I was talking to Zippy about this earlier and he said the same thing: get my launch dialed in and let off a bit after the 1/8". I bought some rear spring clamps to help with the weight shift, so I hope those help it hook better at the track than it does on the street.

Also, the TPIS came in this afternoon too...just dropped that off at the shop and my tech says he should be finished up tomorrow, then it's GOPRO TIME :D

More delays! Just got back from my tech's shop and the TPIS is making it go into limp mode again. I had to order another 90mm off Amazon (which I'll hopefully get within the next day or so) since they used my old 90 as a core to build the TPIS. Anyway, it's getting shipped back tomorrow and also going to ask them to strip off the crappy paint job they did on my 90 motor housing too...not sure why they even did that.

20150414_211605.jpg

20150414_211508.jpg

20150414_211453.jpg