GI.SS 06 SS Build

GI.SS

ok a little update: I installed my 40k cooler and it works flawlessly 20 degrees cooler. I got ambitious and installed my converter. That was fun. I start it up and I hear a little "clicking noise" forward and reverse work. 2 min later as im letting it warm up the noise goes from a click to a clunk and i shut it off. check the converter bolts, all are tight? start it again and it sounds the way she always has. Now this is puzzling me. So I try forward and reverse again. NOTHING. SON OF A ******************* so at this point i know what has happened and have already spent enough time on my back and im just mad at the Truck. So i have AAA tow the truck to RPM performance in Garner, NC. He pulls it apart and shows me my wonderful converter. Calls VIG and they want $475 plus shipping to weld a new snout on her. Plus he tells me the obvious which is it deystroyed my pump on the trans. I was already worried about my trans as it is approaching 100k miles and didnt look to hot when I pulled the pan. SO now Im pulling the trigger and having Ryan build a level 3 trans (good to 500 rwhp), installing a Yank SS 3600, and gonna dyno tune the sucker. Man my wallet is gonna be hurting. :sick: But atleast I know im good for another couple miles plus its done right! Iv already not had my truck for 2 weeks now and prolly wont be done until around the 4 of July but ill be up in NJ until the 14th so hopefully I can come home to my baby again.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Trans that will be installed:

RPM level IV:

media blast and paint transmission case

RPM sleeved input drum

RPM 3-4 clutch pack

Beast Sunshell with bearing and collar

HD Double caged 29 element sprag

4l65e low roller clutch

Billet 4th gear servo

Transgo HD-2 shift kit

corvette servos

wide 2-4 band

updated aluminum accumulator piston bushing kit

new shift solenoids

new wiring harness

new gm valvebody spacer plate

seals

gaskets

filter

Also picked up which will be installed before dyno tuning is TBSS intake manifold, 87mm tb, truck flex fuel injectors with rail, and the x link. I should be taking a ride there after work this week to put the manifold on before I go on vacation. Ill try to snap some pics of stuff going on to the truck. Ill make sure to get a dyno sheet for you guys. If I get lucky I might be able to get them to record it and send me a video but theyre pretty busy so who knows

• 1 month later...

Talked to ryan today. After waiting 2 weeks for injector adapters to come in they showed up yesterday. Went to fire up the truck and the tb I had was no good and wouldn't respond. So luckily ryan had one laying around he could throw on to get started tuning. When I talked to him at 3 he was putting gas on the truck and and strapping her on the dyno. Will be picking her up tomorrow and heading to the track Friday. Will keep posted. It's been down 3 months and I'm losing my mind without her...

Picked up the truck today. First id like to say thank you to RPM Performance in NC. Ryan is a top notch guy and did great work on my truck. Very professional and knowledgeable. He even stayed a half hour after closing to make sure I got my truck and was completely satisfied. The thing runs amazing. So smooth and throttle response is right there. The yank converter hits HARD. Drive ability is great and you can hardly even tell the stall is there until you mash the gas. Flashes right at 3400-3600 and pulls like a freight train. I highly recommend a large converter for these heavy trucks. Having the her finally home is a good feeling. So dyno results are in! Pulls were made on a DynoJet in 97 degrees with 31% humidity SAE: 1.02

with the yank 3600 and heavy 22"s

Going to the track Friday night to see the difference.

My mods are as follows:

Spectre Cold Air Intake

Dougs Longtube Headers

NO CATS

Magnaflow muffler

160 T Stat

TBSS Intake Manifold

87mm TB

x link

Flex Fuel Injectors

Built Trans

Yank 3600 SS

dyno7-31-132_zps964e0671.jpg

Edited by GI.SS (see edit history)

Nice numbers on the dyno, I put my truck on a dyno a month or so ago ( I have been busy and haven't posted anything yet) my truck with the stock tune made 320hp. I put In my Blackbear tune which was knocking all over the place at the time because It wasn't retuned for my long tubes and made 326hp. Then put in a tune my friend had built and made 325hp. The interesting thing for me was that the stock tune and my Blackbear tune at that time ran like garbage. The best I could muster in the quarter mile was a 14.5 on my Blackbear. The tune my buddy did netted me my best time and mile an hour at 14.06. His tune was much smoother and ultimately made more power under the curve with slightly less peak. We are going to build a straight up dyno tune one of these days and just see how much we can make. Another thing that was interesting was open hood vs closed hood. It was like 6 hp different.

Good luck at the track bud, hopefully you rip a good 13 second pass. I'm curious about how the stall works for you. Up until recently you and I have had almost twin SSS's right down to the wheels! Haha.

I am really hoping to rip a 13 second times slip tomorrow. It might be difficult as I have heavier wheels now and a large stall. Some drag radials are in my very near future as well as my cam Install and under drive pullies. But it feels much stronger than before. Ill def let you know

Best time I could muster tonight was a 14.3 with a 2.2 60ft. It was very muggy and the truck wouldn't get traction no matter what I did. It is def much much quicker. I blame the heat, heavy 22's, and street tires. Time to order some drag radials and some sort of traction aid. The rear end didn't want to squat and transfer weight so time for some more tweaking. I had to leave so softly it was sad but the big end felt great. Someone hook me up with some tires!