Have any of you guys lined up with the Harley yet

handsome25tx

this is a funny story. my boss's truck is a 2003 chevy silverado 1500 extended cab short box 4x4 with a 5.3 and 3.73 gears. it also has the protec box. mods include the k&n drop in filter with modded airbox and hypertech programmer. well, he pulls up to a stop light in the turn lane for the upcoming enterance ramp which he's headed too. a harley truck pulls beside him and on green both give'm hell as the harley truck pulls ahead, gets in the lane, and takes the turn onto the highway. 3 days later, the same guy intentionally pulls up in the non-turn lane with my boss in the turn lane, smirks and does the same thing. the 5.3 just can't hold him off. well today the harley guy fly's past some cars just to intentionally get next to him and do it again. again, he smirks which provoke's my competetive boss to try again, but this time, he sticks it in 4LO. well, lets just say the harley truck took the exit behind him. with my boss laughing his ass off he then pulls over once onto the highway to get it out of 4LO. as he put it while laughing his ass off telling me about it, more than worth it. :)

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ran a 14.3 bone stock with 1k miles on my 2002 Harley Davidson F-150.

Stock to Stock they are a good deal faster than the SS (as everyone has pointed out on here).

And yes it doesnt take too much money to make an SS faster than the HD's. HOWEVER, the Harley Davidson's have the same engine that the Lightnings do minus 40 horse due to different blower pulleys and tuneing.

Anything that can be done to a Lightning can be done to a HD. And they can be made faster even cheeper than the SS......one pulley is good for 40+ horse. Like anything else, you can mod to be faster, but there is nothing keeping him from doing the same thing and commin right back at ya'. Thats whats great about the aftermarket. Your possibilities are almost limitless (if you have the funds).

I love the SS, but I would never trade my HD for one.

In reality the HD is a better truck to compare the SS to anyway. I'm getting sick of all the magazines pitting the SS against the Lighting. They are two completely different classes of trucks.

I'm curious to know how many of you have raced a SCSB 5.3. And how you did aginst them. Since they are putting up faster stock numbers than the SS's are?? :thumbs:

Oh this is getting so old, it is a never-ending circle of life in truck comparisons. :crazy: Yes the SS and Harley F150 should be the two trucks in the comparisons that have been published. But GM decided to put an SS badge on a N/A truck instead of brining out the big guns like what was advertised in the concept vehicle. :sigh: Any truck that weighs less and has a SC should be faster than the one that doesn’t. :pop:

The Harley is a nice truck with a SC and cheap after market parts to make it scream. That’s great for you, us SS owners on the other hand bought the vehicle because it is a Chevy and says “SS” on it there is allot of mystique that fallows with the badging. For many it is a way of showing and relating to the way life use to be and is a symbol of power and prestige. Well I think it is, anyways there could be a million comparisons done and each truck is going to show it’s downfalls in the end, it all depends on what you want to do with your vehicle. And I bought the SS for 1. It is a Chevy and 2. IMHO it is the better ALL around vehicle in the end. Trucks aren’t just trucks anymore these days, they drive more like cars and have enough power to make some drivers of sports cars butts pucker when they see a full size truck pulling on them in the rear view mirror and that is cool.

My opinion of all this battling back and forth about whose truck is better than the others is bunk, the ONLY THING THE SS IS MISSING IS A SUPERCHARGER FROM THE FACTORY!!! Just take a look at the performance numbers from some of the SS’s with superchargers and that will show you were the SS would be standing right now if GM had offered it at $45,000 and not the $40,000 that it is now. The general public is not ready to spend mid $40 grand on a truck right now, in a few years it will probably be no big deal.

I know that if GM had come out with the 2003 SS supercharged and everything for $45 grand I still would have bought the thing and all this discussion would be all for not because the SS would run “L” track times from the factory and remember it’s and X-Cab! ;)

$.02!

Stock to Stock they are a good deal faster than the SS (as everyone has pointed out on here). 

And yes it doesnt take too much money to make an SS faster than the HD's.  HOWEVER, the Harley Davidson's have the same engine that the Lightnings do minus 40 horse due to different blower pulleys and tuneing.

Anything that can be done to a Lightning can be done to a HD.  And they can be made faster even cheeper than the SS......one pulley is good for 40+ horse.  Like anything else, you can mod to be faster, but there is nothing keeping him from doing the same thing and commin right back at ya'.  Thats whats great about the aftermarket.  Your possibilities are almost limitless (if you have the funds).

In reality the HD is a better truck to compare the SS to anyway.  I'm getting sick of all the magazines pitting the SS against the Lighting.  They are two completely different classes of trucks.

I'm curious to know how many of you have raced a SCSB 5.3.  And how you did aginst them.  Since they are putting up faster stock numbers than the SS's are?? :thumbs:

:cheers: I'm with you demon. I could put an aftermarket supercharger on also, it's good for 80 more HP with just the swap, thats would put a stock Harley(with just the aftermarket blower) in the mid 13s. I have seen SSs with aftermarket superchargers run high 13s, seems like a good comparison, both with everything stock except the aftermarket blowers. ;)

P.S. As for the SS running as fast as a Lightning with a factory blower, I would think the factory blower wouldn't be as aggressive as an aftermarket one. That's why an aftermarket blower on Ls and Harleys run faster.

Can't tell if you were aggrivated or just stating your opnion....

If I agitated you i'm sorry that was not my intention. Your right I cant relate to the SS "mistique" I'm only 23, and i'm also a Police Officer so I sure cant afford 40k for a truck. :thumbs: (The HD was a gift from a wealthy family, for stopping a RIP of one of the younger family members).

Now to say that a supercharged SS would put up Lighting numbers that may be streaching it. I'll admit I havent seen a blown SS run. What kind of numbers are they putting down in the quarter??

.....again i'm not here to rock the boat (in fact ive been here a long time), and if I offened I am sorry. :thumbs:

You know, bottom line is that everyone on this board probably looked at all three vehicles before making their decision. I know I did. Obviously, our final choice was not based on cost. In the end everyone here chose the SS because they liked it better than the competition. Period. There really is nothing more to discuss unless some visitor to the board is really bored and just trying to rattle peoples chains.

Wake me when it's over. :sleep:

And yes it doesnt take too much money to make an SS faster than the HD's.  HOWEVER, the Harley Davidson's have the same engine that the Lightnings do minus 40 horse due to different blower pulleys and tuneing.

Anything that can be done to a Lightning can be done to a HD.  And they can be made faster even cheeper than the SS......one pulley is good for 40+ horse.  Like anything else, you can mod to be faster, but there is nothing keeping him from doing the same thing and commin right back at ya'.  Thats whats great about the aftermarket.  Your possibilities are almost limitless (if you have the funds).

In reality the HD is a better truck to compare the SS to anyway.  I'm getting sick of all the magazines pitting the SS against the Lighting.  They are two completely different classes of trucks.

I'm curious to know how many of you have raced a SCSB 5.3.  And how you did aginst them.  Since they are putting up faster stock numbers than the SS's are?? :thumbs:

:cheers: I'm with you demon. I could put an aftermarket supercharger on also, it's good for 80 more HP with just the swap, thats would put a stock Harley(with just the aftermarket blower) in the mid 13s. I have seen SSs with aftermarket superchargers run high 13s, seems like a good comparison, both with everything stock except the aftermarket blowers. ;)

P.S. As for the SS running as fast as a Lightning with a factory blower, I would think the factory blower wouldn't be as aggressive as an aftermarket one. That's why an aftermarket blower on Ls and Harleys run faster.

:cheers::thumbs:

You know, bottom line is that everyone on this board probably looked at all three vehicles before making their decision. I know I did. Obviously, our final choice was not based on cost. In the end everyone here chose the SS because they liked it better than the competition. Period. There really is nothing more to discuss unless someone visitor to the board is really bored and just trying to rattle peoples chains.

Wake me when it's over. :sleep:

So people who didnt buy the SS can't be here??

And those who did buy the SS can't compare their trucks to the ones they passed over to get the SS.......and vice versa???

I mean you no disrespect but I think the discussion is a relevant one and I personally enjoy hearing everyones different opnions on the subject.

I think there is plenty to discuss, if you disagree you could simply not read this thread??

Again no disrespect, but I think that demanding to have the SS be the only truck talked about on this board, and accusing anyone who does otherwise of "rattling peoples chains" is a bit on the shallow side. :thumbs:

Again, I agree with you Demon, I waited to see what the SS was going to be like before I chose. When I found out it wouldn't be faster than my R/T I went and looked at the Harley and was sold, I didn't even make it to see the Lightning because I fell in love with the Harley so much. I had also been researching what the Lightning guys were doing as far as mods go. I am not brand loyal, I buy from whoever makes the items I like. Cost isn't a factor for me either, I am already considering my next toy.

Well, to throw in my two cent's. Between all three trucks being discussed here, they all have been built for different levels of use. There is very little to compare between these truck and all that has been compared is obvious. The L's are the faster of all three, but again it is on a platform of it's own, nothing to compare it to. The H-D is the closest to the SS but still built with different objectives to fulfill (i.e. marketing for Harley Davidson, ect.) My point is, there is alot to discuss on this board and many others like this one, but stop repeating the obvious differences of "Mine faster than yours!" That's great!! If you modded and want to share or let people in on some good deals on the Ford (maybe some people with the SS may have or be lookin' at the Fords and mo0dding them), none the less thats a better discussion. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers, just stating my opinion on this matter. :cheers:

Now to say that a supercharged SS would put up Lighting numbers that may be streaching it. I'll admit I havent seen a blown SS run. What kind of numbers are they putting down in the quarter??

2002 SVT Lightning PERFORMANCE:

0-60 mph 5.8 seconds

0-100-0 mph 21.5 seconds

Quarter mile 14.6 seconds @ 97 mph

Top speed 142 mph/228 km/h

Braking, 60-0 mph 137 ft.

Braking, 100-0 mph 238 ft.

80 ft. slalom 63.6 mph

100 ft. skidpad 0.85g

EPA Estimated Fuel Economy 14 City/21 Highway mpg

And here is a LINK to Dave's SS and track times with blower...Looks like a SC "SS" is faster than a stock "L" to me. ;)

2020 SVT Lightning PERFORMANCE:

0-60 mph 5.8 seconds

0-100-0 mph 21.5 seconds

Quarter mile 14.6 seconds @ 97 mph

Top speed 142 mph/228 km/h

Braking, 60-0 mph 137 ft.

Braking, 100-0 mph 238 ft.

80 ft. slalom 63.6 mph

100 ft. skidpad 0.85g

EPA Estimated Fuel Economy 14 City/21 Highway mpg

And here is a LINK to Dave's SS and track times with blower...Looks like a SC "SS" is faster than a stock "L" to me. ;)

a 2002 Lightning running a 14.6???

.......maybe in the rain with a bad driver......(just because its in print doesnt make it the truth). Anyone who knows the 01-02 L's knows they are a great deal faster than that.

14.6 for a Lightning! LOL, I ran a 14.4 STOCK in my Harley in Phoenix, not even broken in. I have personally seen Ls run mid 13s stock, 14.6 ha,ha was an 80 year old lady driving it? If you got the number from a mag, then we all know what those are like. Real world numbers are what count which means track times.

Again no disrespect, but I think that demanding to have the SS be the only truck talked about on this board, and accusing anyone who does otherwise of "rattling peoples chains" is a bit on the shallow side. 

Not shallow at all, this web site is called SILVERADOSS.COM after all. Most on this site are looking for some friendly camaraderie to discuss the vehicle that they hold near and dear to the heart and not to discuss the squeaky muffler bearing on a ford… :crazy:

Archived