Pacesetter Header Install

BenKey

Started installing the headers today. Not really too difficult yet. Although, it was a fight to get that thing in there. I had to jack up the truck and come in from underneath. I was only able to get the passenger side in before the weather didn't support me getting to the other side - rain.

No issues yet as far as fitment. If there is going to be any issues though, it will be on the side that I have left to do. Will try my hardest to get it done tomorrow and let everyone know, but it may rain tomorrow also.

One thing to note for those that are familiar with ASM headers. The Pacesetter headers do not account for a catalytic converter. Where the collector ends is about 3-4" into where your stock cat would have been located. I plan to cut part of the collector off and have welded in my own connections, put a set of 3" powercats in, and continue with 3" all the way to my muffler.

Still need to find a place that will do all of this for me. In the time being, I'm cutting my stock cat off and getting a piece of stock pipe held in with some exhaust clamps in it's place. My new cats aren't here anyway.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't looked under my truck yet, but is there room to move the stock cats back a little? I am interested in these headers a lot, mainly because they're $800 cheaper than Dynatech. E-check around here has gone away, for now. Maybe I can just get my rar O2's deleted and leave the cats off. Looking forward to pics. Later

Dave

Here are some pics. The difference of ASMs to these is how much farther they come under the truck. The collector on a set of ASMs is not near as long. Those pices you see next to them, the larger end slips over the end of the collector then it supposed to slip inside the stock pipe (haven't fit test tested that part) and the you clamps to keep it all tight and together. No provision for cats, like I said.

ASMs you cut your stock pipes 1/4" in front of your cats, then weld on a flange piece that bolts right up to the collector.

Will try to get some pics of how they look in the truck later today.

post-1677-1137939936_thumb.jpg

post-1677-1137939961_thumb.jpg

Okay....got the other side in. Driver's side is super easy to get in there as long as you have the steering shaft dropped. Took no effort whatsoever. The passenger side was not fun and really helps to have a second person with one on top and bottom. I put both sides in from the bottom - seemed to work the best that way.

If you're wanting to know if it clears everything - it appears that there are no issues at all. Really close to the frame, but just as close as my ASMs were and had no problems there.

Again, the main issue with these headers is they take no account for catalytic converters. So...you have to plan to do something else before you get them.

Not sure what I will look like with plug wires. There is one shot of the driver's side that I threw my plugs back in just to see.

Here are some pics:

Two different shots from above driver's side. Kind of hard to see the spacing from the frame.

post-1677-1137964729_thumb.jpg post-1677-1137964753_thumb.jpg

Passenger side

post-1677-1137964776_thumb.jpg

Driver's side, both shots from underneath. As you see the amount of space left after I cut the cat out between the header and the pipe. You can see that the cat had to be cut out.

post-1677-1137964798_thumb.jpg post-1677-1137964845_thumb.jpg

More underneath shots. Plenty of clearance here.

post-1677-1137964874_thumb.jpg post-1677-1137964897_thumb.jpg

Just found a local place that can do some custom work for me. Hope to have it in there in the next couple of weeks to get it all finished.

Superior Performance

757-465-4909

For those in the local area. Cannot do mandrel bending, but will piece together mandrel sections, including putting in a X-pipe, and cutouts. Kind of hard to find places like that in certain cities.

Looks like you scraped the frame coating off. Mabey from the ASMs lol.  Oh and keep my manifold pipes.

The frame scrape may be from my head as much as I have spent underneath the damn thing. I think it was from the ASMs, or it was from scooting out my tranny - can't remember.

Man I saved those pieces just to send back to you. Sure you don't want them?

Looks like you scraped the frame coating off. Mabey from the ASMs lol.  Oh and keep my manifold pipes.

The frame scrape may be from my head as much as I have spent underneath the damn thing. I think it was from the ASMs, or it was from scooting out my tranny - can't remember.

Man I saved those pieces just to send back to you. Sure you don't want them?

yeah thats what i ment, save them and do not git rid of them. lol

Archived