potato land build , 9's@140mph+ goal

idahoBLKss

lol i hope so . i drove my buddies evo x the other day (he insisted, to give me motivation) and it was the first time i driven a turbo vehicle and i must say it was sweet when that turbo hit. what are you running for a boost controller ?

I'm just running a manual boost controller its a hallman. Its always done me good. I never needed a electronic controller. After I got the boost where I wanted it I just left it alone.

i see i love the simplicity of that controller . how high will it let you run the boost at? also im kinda confused on how the waste gate works because it has a spring or springs that you can put in it but it also needs a vacuum/boost line hooked up to it? could you give me the 411 on this?

i see i love the simplicity of that controller . how high will it let you run the boost at? also im kinda confused on how the waste gate works because it has a spring or springs that you can put in it but it also needs a vacuum/boost line hooked up to it? could you give me the 411 on this?

well how the spring work is the stiffer spring you put in it the harder it is for the WG to open. the waste gate is what controls how much boost you want to make. the waste gate opens bleeding off exhaust pressure going to the turbo. the more exhaust pressure you have going to the turbo the more boost you will create. so the waste gate starts opening at a certain pressure whatever spring you have in it. so if you have a 10lb spring in the WG its going to build 10lbs of boost and once it reach's that 10lbs it will open to start and bleed exhaust pressure off the exhaust side of the turbo not letting it make more boost.

well when you want more boost say like 20lbs for example you need to make it harder for the WG to open. so the vacuum line basically adds more pressure to the top of the WG not letting it open. which in turn sends more exhaust pressure to the exhaust housing of the turbo creating more boost. so how you regulate your boost is by the waste gate. if you didnt have a waste gate your turbo would see all the exhaust pressure your engine makes. so your waste gate opens bleeding off some of the exhaust pressure going to your turbo not allowing it to create more boost.

sorry if it doesnt make since. I tried to explain it the best way I know how. to

now for your blow off valve. this is IMPORTANT and you might ask why. your BOV does not control or regulate your boost in anyway. how it works is it opens once your throttle body closes. so when your doing a pull and you let off the throttle is when you mostly hear a BOV. reason to have a BOV is to save the turbo from back spinning also known as chutter. this chuttering should you hear is your turbo spinning backwards. which is not good. so basically what happens if you don't have a BOV. once your turbo is spooling/ spinning creating boost the boost is going into your intake. well once you let off the throttle your turbo wheel is still spinning/spooling well once you let off your throttle the butterfly in your TB close's not letting in any air/pressure well since your turbo is still spinning it and you have now closed off its path of air by closing the bufferfly on the TB the air/boost has no where to go so it basically sends the pressure back through the turbo stopping it completely and sending it the other way which is not good and over time its hurts turbo. it can bend the impeller or even bend the shaft. so you want a BOV. when you let off the throttle it closes the TB which then opens your BOV allowing that pressure thats being created by the turbo to escape. now if you have to soft of spring in the BOV say like a 12lb spring and your trying to create 20lbs of boost it can start to open the BOV which wont allow your to build boost. which then you can shim the BOV. by shimming it you add a couple of washer to the top of the spring. once you add washed it compress's the sping more making it harder for the spring to open.

Sorry to lupe this into one sentences. I'm not the best at explaining things through typing.

heres a video i found to help you a bit

well i guess i was more confused why you would need a spring and a boost reference on the waste gate. if you have the correct spring in there to make the desired boost why would you need it hooked up to the vacuum/boost reference ? or why would you need a spring in there if you can hook it up to the vacuum line to control the boost like that ? thats what im confused about .

heads studs, ls9 gaskets are in and i got the fast back on and all of the injectors are plugged in and ready to go . also got all of the coolant lines done and made the steamvent lines off of the back of the heads functional and route to the back of the overflow tank . now that the intake is on i can get the intake piping mocked up and welded up so i will only have 2 couplers on the whole intake system , one at the turbo and one at the throttle body. a couple steps closer , im getting pretty excited seeing it all come together... i think the turbo is the new king under the hood , the fast is going to take a back seat now , this turbo dwarfs it lol...

IMG_20130717_220658_040_zps3bc31d08.jpg

IMG_20130717_221119_078_zps99e18c99.jpg

Edited by idahoBLKss (see edit history)

So we need to get you a pressure suit to keep your blood flowing so those high gravitational forces dont cause any blackouts :jester: Where was the guy that was working on F-22 Raptors up Alaska on here....we need a suit for Jon, hes going to do crazy things with this beast we have not seen before! :cool:

So we need to get you a pressure suit to keep your blood flowing so those high gravitational forces dont cause any blackouts :jester: Where was the guy that was working on F-22 Raptors up Alaska on here....we need a suit for Jon, hes going to do crazy things with this beast we have not seen before! :cool:

Yup all he needs now is the pressure suit cuz I think you got him covered on his needs for a athletic supporter lol.

BTW very nice build.

ok got a bunch done including the welding on the hot pipes , they are 100% done, and i got just 2 more pieces to weld up on the intercooler piping. she is about ready to fire up ....

IMG_20130721_135355_192_zps3c335146.jpg

IMG_20130721_135406_500_zps01f53d49.jpg

IMG_20130721_142607_267_zpsa169e789.jpg

IMG_20130721_204856_362_zps737b2965.jpg

IMG_20130721_204926_760_zps56764e2a.jpg

also made a lil bracket for the oil feed line so it wont rest on the header ...

IMG_20130721_205054_381_zps12a6ffde.jpg