2004 Limited Production 2WD

SS4EVER

Apparently, I got one of the "Appearance Package Texas Trucks", apparently dubbed the "California Edition" out here. 5.3L, torsion front suspension, 20's, Indigo Blue, all interior options except leather seats (but leather door panels), and On Star. I must say, the truck handles excellent and rides quite well. And, of course the "bling" factor with the 20's is excellent!! :D

Here are some pics.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice truck, I looked at one of those before I decided on the H.O. Version. The sticker price for the truck you bought was too close to the H.O. so I bought the H.O.

You got basically the same truck as mine with exception of engine/tranny/color.

I like that Indigo Blue with 20" Chrome wheels.

Got some track numbers last weekend, all stock with 0 mods.

Best time was 12.82 @ 83mph (don't freak out, this is a 1000ft. time).

There isn't a 1/4 mile track around. I ran against a mostly stock '96 Z28, jumped him off the line bad (even with my pitiful .65 RT) and kept pulling him to the 1/8th, then he starts pulling me, we crossed the finish line with my front bumper even with his door. Can't complain about that I guess. Don't know how many times I heard other folks saying "Vortec high output?" as I drove by.

There isn't a 1/4 mile track around. I ran against a mostly stock '96 Z28, jumped him off the line bad (even with my pitiful .65 RT) and kept pulling him to the 1/8th, then he starts pulling me, we crossed the finish line with my front bumper even with his door. Can't complain about that I guess. Don't know how many times I heard other folks saying "Vortec high output?" as I drove by.

what were your 1/8 mile times?

I am certainly not trying to rain on anyones' parade. I am hoping you had serious wheelspin at the track or these trucks are quicker than those times indicate. I was wanting one really badly until i read the times. I have an 03' extended cab gmc 5.3 285 h.p. 3.73 2 wheel drive. Only MOD,,,, Air filter. It ran a best of 15.23 @88 mph. with an 1/8 of 9.75 and a 1000ft of 12.71 on stock general tires. I realize the 20's are heavier than my steel 16's. Were you brake torquing off the line???? or punching from an idle??? Oh well let us know of any other 1/4 mile times. I am now leaving to go to the Sears Craftsman Nationals Drag races in Madison Illinois. ( 15 min away)

Not all 2005 pickups are going to drum brakes.

Only light duty pickups get it but the following trucks will continue with disc/disc.

Quadrasteer, Silverado SS and Denali will continue with disc/disc brake systems.

I have driven both and I must say that the disc/drum brake system slows this truck down FAST!!

• 2 weeks later...

So not only is this "performance package" truck (which is being referred to on the street as the "HO") faster than the SS (It has to be when you consider the weight/horsepower ratio and the wasted HP of the SS's AWD drivetrain, you can't argue with physics) and more cost efficient (about $8,000.00 cheaper out the door), but now your telling me that it has better breaking power too?!?

What the heck is GM thinking? They have created a "performance truck" that outperforms their "SS", which is supposed to stand for "SUPER SPORT", and gave it about a 20% cheaper MSRP....and they wonder why no one buys the Silverado SS. It doesn't make any sense! Sounds to me like the "HO" is the way to go...unless you get your jollies racing in the rain. I'm curious to see which direction GM is going to be heading with these trucks :chevy: .

Ok...Im very confused, im from Texas....Is this truck different than the Texas Edition Chevy 1500??? If yall are not familiar the Texas Edition has the outilne of TEXAS in the Tint on the rear glass, and has TEXAS EDITION emblems on the sides, im not sure what motor, but I know its a chevy not gmc...so are these trucks different? Why would GM make a Texas Truck and a Texas Edition?

The "Texas Truck" is just a normal Silverado 1500 with some Texas decals on it. Louisiana has a version too. They have the 5.3 liter (326 ci.) engines in them. The "Performance Package" truck, which was called a texas truck between GM employees because it was originally going to be exclusive to Texas, Louisiana & Oklahoma, has the 345 HP LQ9 (364 ci.) engine. This is the same engine that is used in the Escalades and the Silverado SS. The "Performance Package" truck was produced in very limited quantities this year as a pilot vehicle (under 3000 units) and will probably resume production late this year as a 2005 model. It is also supposed to receive a few changes, with selectable traction control and rear drum brakes being a couple of them.

What is up with all of the talk about drum brakes on the Silverado? Why, other than saving a buck, would they put inferior brakes on the already underbraked Silverado?

Are there developing problems with the rear discs?

:confused:

from what i understand they are doing it for a better pedal feel, more stopping power, and an issue with the rear rotors rusting up. drum brakes don't cool as fast, but until they get overheated, they have superior stopping power to disc.

Archived