2004 Limited Production 2WD

SS4EVER

Man.... I've never heard that one before! I have always been under the impression that discs were far superior to drum brakes, in both stopping distance, and temperature management. My old 69 Camaro had 4 wheel drums and were horrible even though they were in top notch shape. I was afraid to get into a "situation" in the old hot rod!

I would think that discs with braided lines would be the ultimate setup.

I guess I'm shocked to hear that tidbit... but I'll keep my disc setup over disc drum anyday! :crazy:

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had four wheel drums on my Chevelle and switched over to stock front disc after I blew by an exit on the highway because I couldn't slow down enough. The difference between disc and drum is night and day to me.

there's more to that than just a simple comparison though. drum brakes have alot more surface area and their duo servo design (most common) gives them great power, on the other hand they fade quickly which is the point behind discs. the brakes on the old cars disc or drum suck in stock form. a newer camaro will outstop a 69 with the 4 wheel disc brake option by so much distance you could park a couple school bus's in that distance. the current generation truck outstop's the last generation half ton (even the 6600gvw model) because not only are the front brakes considerably larger than the last generation, but the rear are so big that the old style 16 inch rims won't even clear the rear calipers.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I hate to dig up this old thread, but I just purchased the GMC version of this truck. So far, I'm very happy with it. Does anyone have any quarter mile or 0-60 times for these trucks? Even a wag would be fine with me. Thanks for the help.

Hi everyone,

I hate to dig up this old thread, but I just purchased the GMC version of this truck. So far, I'm very happy with it. Does anyone have any quarter mile or 0-60 times for these trucks? Even a wag would be fine with me. Thanks for the help.

so exactly what did you buy from gmc? a reg cab, 2wd , 6.0 engine,combination???? more info please

Got some track numbers last weekend, all stock with 0 mods.

Best time was 12.82 @ 83mph (don't freak out, this is a 1000ft. time).

There isn't a 1/4 mile track around.  I ran against a mostly stock '96 Z28, jumped him off the line bad (even with my pitiful .65 RT) and kept pulling him to the 1/8th, then he starts pulling me, we crossed the finish line with my front bumper even with his door.  Can't complain about that I guess.  Don't know how many times I heard other folks saying "Vortec high output?" as I drove by.

I am certainly not trying to rain on anyones' parade. I am hoping you had serious wheelspin at the track or these trucks are quicker than those times indicate. I was wanting one really badly until i read the times. I have an 03' extended cab gmc 5.3 285 h.p. 3.73 2 wheel drive. Only MOD,,,, Air filter. It ran a best of 15.23 @88 mph. with an 1/8 of 9.75 and a 1000ft of 12.71 on stock general tires. I realize the 20's are heavier than my steel 16's. Were you brake torquing off the line???? or punching from an idle??? Oh well let us know of any other 1/4 mile times. I am now leaving to go to the Sears Craftsman Nationals Drag races in Madison Illinois. ( 15 min away)

May be temp/humidity issue, but reg. cab step side 5.3's weren't breaking 13.00 sec. @1000'. I beat a really nice MKIII (I think) Conversion '03 5.3 reg. cab step side by about 3/10's, he had air injection and was running 16" wheels w/373 gears. If all goes as planned, I will be getting some new numbers this weekend. The only thing I've done is a K&N filter.

I did have some traction problems, but didn't smoke out. I'm getting used to the truck now and learning some of these drag racing tricks (will torque brake this weekend), times should get better. Don't let my racing skills (or lack thereof) keep you out of one of these trucks. You really need to drive one for yourself (if you can find one now), they are the best bang for the buck out there.

Please keep us posted on your times. I am yet to run mine hard, so I'm curious how these trucks will stack up against the Hemis and other comparable trucks.

The only engine mod I have so far is the Airaid Intake Tube. I plan to order the K&N in a day or so and may look at exhaust next. The muffler is dual in single out. Any suggestions?

Native, Look closer at your muffler...it's dual in and dual out with a "Y" pipe at the tail. At least that's what most 6.0 liter engines come with.

If you like an aggressive sound only when you putting your foot into it and smooth and quiet when you're just cruisin', Corsa is the way to go. I've ridden in vehicles with various types of exhaust systems (flowmaster & gibson included) and they all have an annoying resonance at cruising speeds. Corsa is quiet...until you punch it.

btw, nice truck... :cool: color too!

Native, Look closer at your muffler...it's dual in and dual out with a "Y" pipe at the tail. At least that's what most 6.0 liter engines come with.

Not 100% true for SSs. Dual in/dual out appearance, but as proven, one of the exit pipes is internally blocked.

Hey guys,

I got one of the 2wd 6.0L in late june; Chuck Nash in San Marcos said it just showed up on the lot, along with a memo telling them what it was; price is about the same as a regular LS: 32k base. Got some discounts from them; it was a steal. Problem I have is it didn't come with the Vortec badging; they're telling me they can't order them because they can't find them; i just saw a truck from another dealer with them; anyone know a part number for the badges, or something I can tell them down there? I don't want to order them myself because frankly i don't want to end up paying for them; i didn't even know there were badges until my brother saw a commercial for them and i saw the other truck. any info would help; thanks.

p.

Not 100% true for SSs. Dual in/dual out appearance, but as proven, one of the exit pipes is internally blocked.

Do all 6.0 systems with this muffler config have one outlet internally blocked? Does anyone know why? Does it act as a deresonator or was it an assembly plant economic issue? Just curious :confused:

Archived